Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I'm getting a code 51, but it's coming from the battery flasher on my dash.

Shouldn't it be coming from the air bag flasher?

Since I'm getting a code 51 where do I start trouble shooting?

I just bought a tester and I'm determined to learn how to use it...since you guys highly advised it.

Which setting on my tester do I use to test the wires with?

It's a standard tester and I bought it from advance auto parts.

I already did a visual on the harness and followed it all the way to the firewall with no signs of cuts or burnt wires.

I know the thermal fuse blew because of a short to ground.

Should I start at the sensors and work back to the wiring harness or vice versa?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

maybe the previous owner blew it while working on the truck or wiring?

is that possible?

:banghead

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
You got any info on what the vehicle is? ;)

I'm going to guess it's a 1978 Bronco XLT with a 351M and a Pro-tronic Fuel Injection Conversion until you post what it actually is. :toothless
:thumbup

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry guys. 95 Bronco XLT with 5.0 and MAF. I did not see any kind of water damage either. I read another post that suggested that. How can i do the water test? water hose and a little time?

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo C,
Confirm that the Charging System Light is blinking; it is designed to come on every time you turn the ignition to the ON or START position (engine off). The light should go off when the engine starts and the alternator begins to charge. If the light stays on or comes on when the engine is running, have the electrical system checked as soon as possible.

With the key in START or RUN, battery voltage is present at the charge indicator. If the generator (GEN) (10346) is not generating power, the voltage regulator inside the generator grounds the charge indicator through Circuit 904 (LG/R). The charge indicator illuminates.

When the generator is generating power, the voltage regulator inside the generator applies battery voltage to the charge indicator through Circuit 904 (LG/R). With battery voltage present at both ends of the charge indicator, there is no current flow and the charge indicator does not illuminate.

With the key in START or RUN, battery voltage is present at the charge indicator. If the generator (GEN) (10346) is not generating power, the voltage regulator inside the generator grounds the charge indicator through Circuit 904 (LG/R). The charge indicator illuminates.

When the generator is generating power, the voltage regulator inside the generator applies battery voltage to the charge indicator through Circuit 904 (LG/R). With battery voltage present at both ends of the charge indicator, there is no current flow and the charge indicator does not illuminate.

Check Ground G106 RH (passenger side) fender apron, near voltage regulator

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, that light comes on then goes off. Then it flashes 5 times with a pause then 1 flash. So this in not the airbag system?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The alternator works and it starts every time. I will check with my meter. What reading am I looking for when checking?

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm thinking you and this guy Clicky need to switch cluster surrounds...

Really, was there another truck application that swapped the charge and airbag light position? If you read that other guys thread, he has a pre-SRS BKO and the airbag light was coming on solid at the same time that the voltage gauge was behaving erratic and lights/etc were dimming.

Can't be a coincidence, can it? Does anyone have pictures of the cluster trim's of varying years backlit to show all light locations?

I would look through Steve's supermotors stuff, but I can't see supermotors images from work-- for some reason our net nanny doesn't like them...

Good Luck,
Jason

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo,
This is the 96 Bronco Owners Guide by Hiller Ford
Same as 95 and most earlier years exc. for OBD II, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96) and a few other items
(still need time to go through all pages to confirm other differences)

As Jason suggested;
see pages 74 AND 75 for Instrument Panel gauges and warning indicators Location Depictions

====

to test the Charge System Warning
Never/Always On
•Fuse.
•Circuit.
•Bulb.
GO to Pinpoint Test P.

See 95 Wiring Diagram

Check ground G106 on RH (passenger side) fender apron, near voltage regulator. and bulb/socket wring for intermittent light flashes;
96 Bronco-F-Series Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)
Same as 95 and most earlier years exc. for OBD II, 4WABS (93-96); ABS (87-92); Air Bag (94-96); 3 Screw Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96) and a few other items
(still need time to go through all pages to confirm other differences)

·
Super Moderator
26,042 Posts
yo,
Try what Ford describes as a wiggle test;
In Key ON, Engine Running... beware of fan, pulleys, belts and hot engine/components.
Tap, move, and wiggle the suspect sensor and/or harness and haves someone watch the light

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha I figured it out Steve!!! Never took one yet of just the bronco. Will do that on the next beach trip and use that as my Avatar!

So I check the ground at it was a very bad connection. Put fresh wire and soldered my battery cables to some new clamps. Light is still flashing. Do you think I may have plugged the harness in backwards? Going to pull the bezel tomorrow and reinstall the other way to see what i get. Is there any spots on the circuit board that does not require bulbs? I noticed some spots were labeled ill or something to that nature. Is this a jump location for the electrical signal? I will post what happens after i flip the connector. its the gray connector on on the left side that may be put in wrong. Like i said in a previous post when i turn my left turn signal on the fuel reset light flashes, so i think i may have twisted some copper up on the board.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts