Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the lucky owner of a code 624: Electronic Pressure Control Solenoid fault.

I have searched and found many references about this code. I understand that it is a problem with the transmission solenoid pack. I am not sure what my next steps should be in fixing the problem. I checked the connector and can not see any damage to it, and it seems to be full engaged in the solenoid pack.

I am not too confident about doing tranny work myself, but in reading it sounds like replacing the pack involves dropping the pan, unbolting the pack and pulling hard nough to release the o-ring seal. Should this be my next step or should I take it to a tranny shop for further diagnoses first?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I have the feeling that if you take it to a shop, they'll say nothing more than, "yep, you need a rebuild. Gonna be $2000." :twak

I think you're on the right track, however. Believe me, dropping the solenoid pack and replacing it IS NOT nearly as difficult as it sounds. If you can change your filter and fluid, you'll do fine. You may want to make sure the electrical conductivity of that line, from end to end, is okay. It shouldn't have more than but a few tenths of an ohm of resistance.

The solenoid pack comes down a bit easier if you use one hand to press down on the connector while using the other to pull and support it. It helps quite a bit if you spray the outside connector area clean with SeaFoam/Deep Creep, so the lube can release the O-ring.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats my concern about taking it to a shop. I got $1500 into the whole things the way it sets, no way I am gonna put $2000 into the tranny. Know of any good tranny shops in our area? I figure if I let them take a look at it and tell them what I think is wrong, maybe they won't try and throw the whole "it has to be rebuilt thing at me". A nice confident diagnosis would be great to get. Yeah I know...very naive of me.

So if it keeps throwing this code..what happens if I just keep driving it? Its not a DD, the intent of having it is to make it the Dune/Trail truck. It will shift into and out of overdrive while cruising, but thats only occasionaly. never gonna get in OD in the sand. Thanks for info.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts