Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the codes on my Bronco today and got two codes on the KOEO, 181 and 628. And one code on the KOER, 172.

The 181 and 172 codes are related and I'm running those down. The code 628 has me a little concerned. That's excessive converter clutch slippage.

I checked the coolant and the overflow tank was empty and the radiator was a little bit low. I checked the transmission fluid and it was foamy. Those two things cause me to suspect coolant is getting into the transmission. My question is where are the possible places it's leaking from?

Also, it's been about 50K since I've serviced the transmission.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I read the instruction manual with the reader. The Ford service manual indicates both two digit codes and three digits codes for 1992 Bronco's. For example, they indicate that a converter clutch error is 62/628. My connector in the engine compartment has the six terminal connector as well as the separate ground connector. My engine is the 351 with California emissions.

My question is not really about codes, however the 628 code did cause me to check the coolant level and the transmission fluid. The question I had was, if there is coolant leaking into the transmission, what are the likely sources?

·
Super Moderator
29,437 Posts
Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) Flashing Diagnostic Trouble Codes 62, 628 and/or 1728 & transmission shifts hard TSB 98-4-19 for 90-96
MARCH 2, 1998
LIGHT TRUCK:
1989-97 F SUPER DUTY, F-250 HD, F-350
1989-98 ECONOLINE, F-150, F-250 LD
1990-96 BRONCO
1997-98 EXPEDITION
1998 NAVIGATOR

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to correct the vehicles listed.

ISSUE:
Some vehicles may exhibit a flashing Transmission Control Indicator Lamp (TCIL) and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) 62, 628, and/or 1728 may be stored in memory. These DTCs can be set by any internal transmission element slippage or potentially by torque converter slippage.

ACTION:
Refer to the following text when servicing these codes.

NOTE:
WHEN SERVICING A VEHICLE WITH A FLASHING TCIL WITH DTCS 62, 628 AND/OR 1728, DO NOT REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER UNLESS PROPER DIAGNOSIS HAS PROVEN THE TORQUE CONVERTER TO BE THE CAUSE.

Always verify the customer concern. Proper diagnosis for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 may require talking to the customer to find out if there were any other symptoms associated with the TCIL flashing, (i.e., shift concerns, erratic/early/late, proper torque converter operation, etc.), prior to noticing the TCIL flashing.

Prior to transmission repairs for DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 or investigating other causes, repair all non-related transmission DTCs first, then repair all other transmission DTCs other than 62, 628 and/or 1728.

Some of the other causes that may result in DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 are as follows:

- Aftermarket modifications (i.e., performance enhancers, electrical modifications, etc.)

- Missing shifts (some/all)

- Transmission fluid leakage (internal and/or external)
- Erratic shift timing

- Valves, springs or retainers in the main control/accumulator body not assembled correctly, binding or sticking

- Check balls missing and/or mislocated. Damaged, unable to seal/seat properly

- Higher or lower than normal line pressure

- Transmission fluid restrictions and/or level
- Erratic/inoperative vehicle speed and/or rpm sensor

- Poor engine performance concerns

Any vehicle system concerns that could cause the strategy to detect a perceived internal slippage or change in the expected rpm of internal transmission rotating components may cause DTCs 62, 628 and/or 1728 to set.

NOTE:
ONCE DTCs 62, 628 AND/OR 1728 SET, OTHER TRANSMISSION FUNCTIONAL DTCs MAY NOT SET.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:

-94-2-26

-96-10-14

SUPERSEDES: 98-1-23

WARRANTY STATUS: INFORMATION ONLY

OASIS CODES: 501000, 502000, 504000, 510000, 614000, 698298

·
Super Moderator
29,437 Posts
MIL Explanation with No Self Test Codes TSB 92-24-3 by Ford for 91-93
Publication Date: NOVEMBER 18, 1992
This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to include the Taurus and Sable models.
ISSUE: Occasionally, there are reports of the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) "Check Engine" or "Service Engine Soon" lamp being lit with no Self-Test codes in Continuous Memory. An explanation of three digit EEC IV Self-Test Codes has been developed along with reasons for the MIL lamp being lit with no accompanying Continuous Memory Self-Test codes.
ACTION: Refer to the following explanation of three digit EEC IV Self Test Codes to determine why the MIL lamp is sometimes lit with no accompanying Continuous Memory Self-Test codes.
OVERVIEW OF THREE DIGIT EEC IV SELF-TEST CODES
Ford went from two-digit to three-digit EEC IV Self-Test codes in 1991 to service the increasing number of service codes required to support various government On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) regulations. The phase-in from two-digit to three-digit codes started in the 1991 model year and is largely complete except for some medium/heavy trucks that will retain two digit codes through the 1994 model year

http://home.comcast.net/~miesk5/tec...Self Test Codes TSB 92-24-3 by Ford for 91-93

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's much too simple! I was expecting something more complicated. I completely forgot about the transmission cooling lines going into the radiator!

Steve, thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts