Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've searched this forum and found several helpful discussions on this and it's potentially helped my problem.
My 94' Bronco stalls out when put into Drive and 2nd gear. 1st, N, and Reverse all work fine. I ran codes and got a 629. Which indicates solenoid did not change state when requested by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). Possible causes: Damaged solenoid/assembly. Open or shorted harness (internal/external) or Damaged PCM.

I replaced my trans filter and changed oil, also added the aftermarket clip to keep it from falling, I got a new solenoid and also a new e4od wiring harness repair kit for the transmission end of the wiring harness. I've also replaced both leaking capacitors in the EEC. I'm still having the same problem.

After looking through this forum, I found some helpful info about using a multi meter to check for continuity in the wiring. I did that today and I looks like 5 of the 8 wires in the wiring harness are not making a good connection. I guess there is a break elsewhere in the wiring. So I'm looking to replace the entire harness now.

Has anyone done this? If so, where did you buy the entire wiring harness from? Also, do I need to get another wiring harness to replace for the nuetral safety switch? I noticed that is tied in as well. Any help would be awesome!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
26,089 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I saw your other post. Thanks. But looks like the EEC has some burnt capacitors on it. I replaced the capacitors and I've got the same issues. you think the whole EEC needs to be replaced?

Yo j,

Consider E4OD Transmissions Wire Harness Repair Kit 1989-1994
Brand: Phoenix Transmission Parts
4.8 out of 5 stars 9 ratings

Price:$37.85 & FREE Shipping

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had the same problem. The caps look okay on the EEC but it definitely has a fried electronics smell on 1 side of the board.
There are banks of triacs along the outer edge and I think it’s one of them that is toast.
I found the resistance to ground was under 1k ohm and it should measure over 10k on the TCC pin when it is not active.
There are companies that will repair them. I went a different direction so didn’t give that a try.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you buy a new EEC?

I had the same problem. The caps look okay on the EEC but it definitely has a fried electronics smell on 1 side of the board.
There are banks of triacs along the outer edge and I think it’s one of them that is toast.
I found the resistance to ground was under 1k ohm and it should measure over 10k on the TCC pin when it is not active.
There are companies that will repair them. I went a different direction so didn’t give that a try.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes and it fixed the problem. In my case I went with a PimpXshift because of the current set up and future plans.

FYI: To get the truck movable, cut the purple w yellow wire. This will cut power to the TCC. Obviously it will rev more and isn't good long term due to more slip and heat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts