Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please tell me if I have ALOT of work to do to my 88'. Today I pulled codes off of it and put it up for sale but I have decided to keep it.

So here are the codes and the meanings please tell me how hard it is to correct these.

CM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

67- Neutral safety circuit failure.

81- MAP sensor vacuum not greater than 2in-Hg during normal vehicle operation.

96- Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC did not sense battery voltage on the fuel pump monitor circuit.

95- Fuel pump secondary circuit failure. The EEC senses infinite resistance to ground from the fuel pump on the fuel pump monitor circuit.

KOER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
42- No HEGO switching detected always rich(right side).

33- Egr valve opening not detected.

25- Knock not sensed during dynamic test.

41- No HEGO switching detected always lean(right side).

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I had, IIRC, the same codes for the EGR, Knock sensor, and Hego, and also a code for my Thermactor Air Diverter. When I replaced my EGR solenoid ( the plugged switch on top of the EGR valve) those codes went away. My motor is a 302 though, so I cannot vouch for any other motors configurations, etc... because I have never worked on, or owned the venerable 300 six. It was an easy fix, like $35.00 and it took 3 minutes to replace it, and Napa kept the part in stock, which means it regularly goes bad on my motor.

As far as the fuel pump is concerned, I have yet to get that kind of a code.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
The Haynes Manual provides numerous wiring and harness probing and "wiggle" tests so all you have to invest is TIME to develope a diagnosis so don't panic AND ...don't just throw money at a problem/s...

A code : 67 can either be A/C or NSS = neutral safety switch but sometimes can be simply resolved where if you have any issues with the "column shifter" say where you either jiggle or hold it up to start the vehicle could just be that the column shift linkage is out of sink with the transmission. This is in your Haynes Manual so to eliminate it as a NSS suspect, turn the key to "RUN" and pull the column shifter down to the D position and secure it there so it doesn't move, go underneath the BKO on the drivers side and loosen the "column shift linkage BOLT" on the transmission "TAB" just enough so you can click the TAB all the back until it stops and 2 clicks forward, tighten the bolt and place in park and now everything is syncronized when you run thru the PRNDL gears. Steering columns get old, sloppy and loose and may need rebuilding.

I had this problem code: 67 - my reverse lights would be on while in Park....until I figured it out, there should be an Illustration, ref. Point A in the Haynes Manual explaining it or www.broncolinks.com under the tranny section.

FYI, Code: 44 is a Thermactor Air Injection System "fault" only, this is the emissions system so somewhere there is a vacuuum leak and performance would dramaticlly affected, ie: engine miss, lack of power and ignition detonation going up or down hill...if you experience these symptoms go directly to the "Exhaust Cross-Over Injector Tube" bolted to the back of the cylinder heads and visually inspect the "Check Valve " on top of the tube, over time with age they rust thru and cause a vacuum leak, affecting the engine performance as mentioned....you'll nned to pull the tube off to inspect the valve which costs $20.00 just about anywhere.

It's possible these sensors, fuel relays kicking out codes are beyond their normal life cycle but to find out you'll have to work thru each one, probing it as a circut with a multimeter for ohms resistance and voltage levels to determine that before you start replacing as they can add up $$$$. Ex. O2 sensor has a life expectancy of 30k miles and if you don't know how old your is currently it should be replaced, the older it gets the less it reads exhaust gases, now telling the computer to "run rich vs lean" ...PITA

Make sure when you "pull codes" from the vehicle computer the batteries in the Code Reader are fresh otherwise it won't trigger the computer properly and will affect KOEO-KOER tests possibly with false indications.

Good Luck ~

·
The "Dim"olitioner....
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used the self test on fordfuelinjection.com, which involves counting the check engine light flashes, and their damned code descriptions are wrong.

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
No Ryan's list is indeed correct. Are you counting and putting the numbers together correctly?

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Dave's 88:
Bump Dupe means the original thread duplicated itself because the computer was slow when I went back to "edit" to correct spelling etc......PITA

Buy a Ford Code Reader with diagnostic book at O'Reillys for $29.99 + tax and save yourself from all the frustration, it's a more accurate, faster to pull codes..

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I've got a code reader book here. I am curious as to what he thinks he got wrong, the code numbers, or the detailed information he wrote after the codes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts