Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found time to change the springs in the front of the EB (my other project). I mention this because I bought a Harbor Freight N2 kit to fill the res. Turns out the HF deal works fine no short term drift on the regulator (HF 97063 ~$250). Details: The China adjustable regulator has a 0-4000 psi and 0-300 guages. The kit comes with a short plastic coil fill hose with a trigger operated tire filler that acutally works fine. It has a 0-160 psi gauge. The 40 cu ft tank is a new US made & has a 10 year stamp with US made shutoff valve. When I first got it I set the reg at 50 with 2200 on the high press gauge, then shutoff the tank valve. After 3 weeks the reading on the reg set had not decayed. The trigger gauge read 30psi & the reg high press read 100psi. Pretty darn good. I bet the hose connections did all the leakage. HF sells a 20 cu ft similar kit #97061, but I have no knowledge about the pressure gauges.

Compare this setup price with what you get at the welding shop. Usually what you see in the race shops is tank, reg, hose with a simple chuck. The bonus of the HF is the trigger operated tire filler.

Paul

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
C/O redo info

Here is the cost comparison
- HF # 97063 $247.88+9 shipping+12.50 to fill.
40cf tank, reg, hose, tire filler, chuck. + Nice carrying rack. I own the 10 year tank.
- Weld store $290 with filled tank, reg, hose, simple chuck. Slightly larger rented tank. I did not check the date code. Bigger tank is hard to live with since it has no carrying stand and is a lot heavier.
- For shocks the smaller HF unit is way more than you need if you are not working in a commercial shop. HF #97061 $189.99 with a 20 cf tank. Same description as 97063. Check the gauges. The small one would last for many years on one fill if it is just used for ocasional shock work.

I use the weld store one at my place in SF to adjust the air shocks ride height for widely varying weight for our travels. I also loan it to my buddy for his shocks. I probably will die of old age before it need refilling.
I use the HF one for changing the EB shocks in CO. Save me a lot of $$ to avoid going to Avalanche to get them filled. In fact I like to fill them after installation and I don't have to drive with no pressure. Not so handy living here in CO.
Paul
Paul

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.