Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I´ll install a new Accel coil in my ´86 but don't want to place it in the stock position. My truck has a stock 302 EFI with A/C and air filter is blocking the place where newer trucks have the coil. Any ideas? Pictures welcome
Regards
Rodolfo

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New coil has an aluminum heat sink for cooling so is a little bigger than stock one. Beside that, I don't like the place where the stock one is mounted, behind the A/C bracket which blocks the air flow. I´ll better place the new one where I can avoid overheating problems. The problem is that this EFI 302 with A/C is so crowded that I can't figure where to put it.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
It's a problem all us 85-86ers face

I'm gonna put mine where the later trucks mount em' BUT I have to finish my new intake box to be mounted where my smog pump is now.

Have you done this yet ?

The underhood tool/parts box is the reason I won't use the later airbox system

Sixlitre

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not yet. What do you think about placing it in the pilar right to the radiator on top of the air intake??? It will be a long cable to the distributor but I don't think it will cause any problems.Thanks for your support
Regards
Rodolfo

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
broncAR said:
Not yet. What do you think about placing it in the pilar right to the radiator on top of the air intake??? It will be a long cable to the distributor but I don't think it will cause any problems.Thanks for your support
Regards
Rodolfo
I guess you're only limited by how much you want to lengthen the two wires going to feed the coil and of course the coil wire itself.

I'd been thinking of making a right angle bracket and adding it to the thottle linkage bracket on the intake.

After a lot of junkyarding I noticed that earlier pre 85s used the fresh air intake just to the passenger's side of the rad in the rad support. Our 85-86s used the identical hole, through the rad support, on the driver's side.

A little bit of surmising and I can picture a way to fabricate a new airbox lower than the air pump that will eliminate the airbox and several feet of tubing AND be a more direct fresh air intake.

BTW

All you have to do to remount the washer fluid/coolant resevior is rill one mounting hole, the other's already there !

Sixlitre

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I´ll install it right to the radiator and let you know if it goes OK.
I´ll be hijacking myself but I have another question about transmision temperature gauge. I'm going to install 3 gauges when I finish my center console, one of them for transmision temperature (together with transmision remote filter). I asked at the place where I repair my AOD and they suggested to place the sensor in the transmision pan instead of using the remote filter. I think I agree with them but would like to know your opinion.
I also plan to install the drain plug but am scared because our roads are plenty of pebbles and I get chicken skin thinking about a stone hitting the drain plug... I think I'll try to install some kind of protection
Thanks and regards
Rodolfo

·
Practicing Infidel
15,307 Posts
broncAR said:
I´ll install it right to the radiator and let you know if it goes OK.
I´ll be hijacking myself but I have another question about transmision temperature gauge. I'm going to install 3 gauges when I finish my center console, one of them for transmision temperature (together with transmision remote filter). I asked at the place where I repair my AOD and they suggested to place the sensor in the transmision pan instead of using the remote filter. I think I agree with them but would like to know your opinion.
I also plan to install the drain plug but am scared because our roads are plenty of pebbles and I get chicken skin thinking about a stone hitting the drain plug... I think I'll try to install some kind of protection
Thanks and regards
Rodolfo
BroncAR

I'll be contradicting myself because I did mount my drain pan bolt in the lowest spot of the pan but........ I wouldn't put the sensor in the pan.

To me that would make it way more susceptible to a leak or getting the sensor torn out while 4X4ing.

Even as low as the drain bolt is, the sump gaurd, on mine, still is lower and therefore proects it. It's driving over brush, etc that I could picture a limb or branch dragging the underside and wiping off your mechanical capillary tube or electrical wire or worse ! Ain't no branch gonna wipe out a drain bolt IMO.

You also have to ask yourself how much more accurate do you need the gauge to be ? You locate it in the remote filter housing and it's still gonna be a true reading of how much cooler temps are after your B&M Supercooler IMO.

Choice is yours as you'll be welding in the drain plug anyway. My middle brother was tight for room on his British transmission years ago and I remember he used the actual mechanical capillary sensor/bolt as his one and only drain plug making it do double duty.

It's your bronco.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As usual you have a good point, I'll think about it and see what comes up after having a couple of beers and get some sleep.
Thanks and regards
Rodolfo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts