Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I drove from houston tx to austin tx and i stopped at about 100 miles into the drive to take pics of a trailer i wanted to buy. I wasnt even stopped for 5 min and when i went to drive off the lot the truck turned off and Turned on again but turned off in a few seconds. I changed the coil and the truck turned on and got home. It had happed before and the coil seemed to get hot. what causes this.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Is that a question or a statement? lol :toothless

Probably bad wires and/or ignition module. The coil should get warm, but not hot (both are subjective, but I think you know the difference), and the only real source of this heat would be excessive current flow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it is exesive current flow how do i regulate it. or does the ignition module do that.doi check the ignition module

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Your module is supposed to regulate the dwell, or the "on time" of the coil (unless you have a BLACK control module, but most BKO's don't). It's when the coil's primary side is disconnected that the spark is supposed to occur, and that's the ignition module's role: to switch the ground connection to the coil on and off using logic and transistors.

You may want to test your ignition module; I would take it to a reputable parts store with a good tester, and they should test it several times over to verify whether it's good or not when it's hot. If the spark plug wires are questionable or over two years old, put new ones on and be done.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
alright i went to check the module they couldnt test because i took off the connectors. So i purchased the module came back and wired it up.I also put a new coil. Now when i turn the key it seems to turn on but it turns right back off. Could it be the ignition up by the key.

Oh i also grounded the block.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
turns on but with the alarm on.
so i cut the siren wire and the engine runs with the alarm on.
did i cross some wires or did the new module come defected

1 - 6 of 6 Posts