Repo'd
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went wheelin last night and kept hearing
the front left coils spring chiming like someone
hit it with a hammer.
Looked at it today and the centering cup on the
top of the spring bucket (Inside the spring) doesn't
tighten down onto the coil spring on either side.

Should I buy new ones or is it normal?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
why not? It is a bolt that comes thru the ttb arm, and the lower coil cup sits on top, then the spring and then the washer with the bolt to tighten it down. What doesnt tighten???? Does the bolt spin, or is the nut frozen? What do you mean?

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
hmmm, yah i cant imagine why that is happening. you ar going to have to pull it to see, it should be tight. Another thing you can try when you pull it (as some ar tighter than others) is putting a bolt between the spring and washer to firm it up. the bolt would sit on the lower cup, it would just keep the spring from sliding around.

·
Premium Member
If it is not a Bronco, it's just not worth driving.....
1,457 Posts
Reviving this thread since I am having the exact same issues. I am using the same springs that were on my Bronco when I started replacing bushings. I noticed the isolators under the springs were disintegrated so I ordered new ones from JBG.

I got the two new bushings and started putting things back together and noticed my springs would not tighten down. I took a short video of the springs installed with the isolator.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
As you can see the spring is not tight at all. The cupped washer is in contact with the base and the nut is tightened all the way down. There is no way to tighten it any further.

I am not sure if the base is original or some sort of after market part, but it looks like it is original. I do not have a suspension lift on my truck, but I do have a 3” body lift. I am assuming the suspension parts are original.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Does anyone have and ideas on what I need to do to fix this? I can’t run it the way it is, it would soon ruin the new isolators.

Attachments

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,613 Posts
This is kind of a weird problem, i dont really have a good answer for you.

I just went out and looked at mine; it looks exactly the same as yours. Your replacement isolators look just like my 22 y/o ones.
You 100% sure that nut goes all the way down? Verified w/o the coil installed? Did you try swapping coils left to right? Verify lower wrap of coil isnt bent?

I had this happen to me but with new coils, and it turned out the coils were made wrong (defective). Never heard of this happening just from regular maintenance.

For reference:

stock coil on left. Ignore the defective coil on the right. Im hoping your coils look tight like the left, and arent deformed from banging around in there with bad isolators.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Don't worry about it guys. That is all completely normal. That cup is NOT suppose to sit tight against the coil. It's designed so there is a bit of wiggle room for when the suspension flexes. Totally normal.

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Don't worry about it guys. That is all completely normal. That cup is NOT suppose to sit tight against the coil. It's designed so there is a bit of wiggle room for when the suspension flexes. Totally normal.
Wouldn't the loose attachment point cause noise and rattles when going over bumps and wheeling?

I would also be afraid the repetitive hammering of the spring against the isolator would cause it to break up and split really fast.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Wouldn't the loose attachment point cause noise and rattles when going over bumps and wheeling?

I would also be afraid the repetitive hammering of the spring against the isolator would cause it to break up and split really fast.

It shouldn't. The amount of force those springs exert is easily going to allow the spring to maintain pressure on the seat/isolator under most driving situations, even mild off-roading. Now if your talking about wheeling where your really flexing out the suspension, yes that could cause some noise. But it's usually very minimal, especially with the isolators in there. In 25 years of wheeling these trucks, I don't think I've ever really noticed any rattling from these coils/cups. Keep in mind the upper mount is similar. It does not actually put any pressure on the upper coil. It is also "loose" so it in theory could make a bit of noise to when the coil is at full droop. Are you sure this is where the "rattle" is coming from?

·
Premium Member
1,457 Posts
Are you sure this is where the "rattle" is coming from?
No, I am not sure this is where my noise is coming from. I just replaced the leaf spring bushings, the axle pivot bushings and radius arm bushings. I know alot of the noise was coming from the radius arm bushings since when I changed them out, I noticed one side was so loose it flopped around a bit. My axle pivot bushings were in sad shape too.

I noticed the spring isolators were gone and assumed this could be a source of noise as well. Having the bottom mounts loose seemed to be against the common practice of mechanic-ing. So to eliminate all sources of noise/rattles, I wanted to make sure the springs were getting installed correctly.

I will go ahead and try it with the new isolator and the play in the washer / spring setup and see what happens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts