Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goal: Want to get springs to improve the flex on the TTB in my Bronco without lifting it. I know flex and TTB should never be used in the same sentence. Entertain me if you will. This is a major budget beater so SAS is out of the question. Instead the SAS will go into a Ranger project for more serious off-roading.

Plans: Extend stock radius arms with 1.25" heims that I already have.

Here is where I am requesting help.

I did a lot of reading and searching and here is what I have found:

- I found that the Deaver/Graveyard EB Superflex Coils have a rate of 190#/in. Based on what I have read these should be good for flex. Would these be too soft for a dedicated trail rig with zero street time? This Bronco has been lightened up quite a bit with the inner fenders removed and fenders trimmed, A/C and heater stuff is gone, all interior gutted. No go fast just mostly crawling and mudding around.

- I would put this Bronco on the lighter side so I'm guesstimating 2200lbs front weight. Subtract 350lbs for wheels, tires, axle = 1850lbs sprung weight. Multiply by 1.5 for TTB leverage = 2775lbs. Divide by 2 load on each spring = 1387.7lbs call it 1390lbs.

- I don't want to lift the Bronco so I would like to keep the compressed height at what it is stock which seems to be between 12"-13".

- So, 1390lbs/ 190lbs/in springs would compress about 7.32". If I want my compressed height to be between 12"-13", the free standing/uncompressed height would be between 19.3"-20.3"

Just so happens the Deaver/Graveyard EB 2-1/2" Superflex Springs are 20" free standing. Seems to work out.

So what do you guys think about the spring rate? Think I can get more flex out of the TTB this way?

Thank for any help in advance.

Its for this flaming heap of shit.

Fred

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
sounds like what your doing is similar to what a few ranger guys do with xj coils(lighter spring rate), so it sound like your on the right path,
to build on it a cut and turn beams always help,
only draw back with getting maxiam flex out of ttb is steering, a custom steering sytem is needed to move with it or your going to run into problems.

this is all ranger based mods, but easy adaptible to the ford bronco
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/zimmerman_ttb.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2003/MaximumFlexForTheTTB.htm

also on the shock tower in the front of the bronco, cut out the shock mount, and weld in a f250 mount

again ranger based but you get the idea

for steering
http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105377&page=18

im sorry im not to up to date on the Bronco/f-series ttb but hopefully some of this information is usefull,

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just finished ordering the f250 shock mounts. Going to have to look more into the steering.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wouldn't cutting and turning beams benefit me if I was lifting it? This will stay stock height.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
c&t the beams actually helps to stay low and maximize travel. read up on some broncospeed stuff and youll see what they do.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Wouldn't cutting and turning beams benefit me if I was lifting it? This will stay stock height.
yeah i didnt see that so ignore that part, but i would keep it in mind if you pplan to in the future, but the bronco speed forum will go in more indepth on it

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Cut beams are for for more lift and travel as are steering mods. You won't need those mods.

TTB can be made to have mad flex and travel, you just can't get the forced articulation that comes with a solid axle.

I recently cut down a set of the newer Superflex springs for the TTB in my F150. The aftermarket springs are too damn stiff for me. These are 300lbs/inch and work well. My thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198260&highlight=stock+coil+springs

I think you will find those 190lbers' to be too soft. The rig will bottom-out too easily.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
i would love to see a ttb with some flex. cw's is the only one i have seen that flexs pretty good. if any one knows any treats to do this with ttb please fill me in. you can pm me with any info.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i would love to see a ttb with some flex. cw's is the only one i have seen that flexs pretty good. if any one knows any treats to do this with ttb please fill me in. you can pm me with any info.
it could probably go a little farther, my shock is what maxes out my flex.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
To me, changing the springs would be the easy part. Not only are you going to have to look at longer radius arms with heim joints but you may also need to modify where the pivot arms attach to the crossmember. They twist, not much, but they do. Try lifting your truck, remove the tire, shock, and spring. Push up and down on the spindle with no resistance on it. You will see there is still a limit to the travel you will get. If you can get around that you still have to deal with the TTB U-joint limitations.
If you do come up with something POST UP!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Still looking for springs in the 240lb-300lb rate is anyone out there has some leads.

SHOCKS
-Picked up some F-250 shock mounts for longer shocks.
-Need to do some measuring but looking for about 4-5 inches of up-travel and the rest to be available for down-travel.

RADIUS ARMS
-1.25" Rod Ends, Tube Adapters, and High Misalignment Spacers in hand.
-Ruff Stuff Specialties Frame Mounts in hand.
-Thinking about moving the pivot points inward with a custom crossmember to prevent the tires hitting the radius arms.

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shock Mounts

Frame Mounts

Rod Ends

Idea for moving pivots inboard a bit

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cut beams are for for more lift and travel as are steering mods. You won't need those mods.

TTB can be made to have mad flex and travel, you just can't get the forced articulation that comes with a solid axle.

I recently cut down a set of the newer Superflex springs for the TTB in my F150. The aftermarket springs are too damn stiff for me. These are 300lbs/inch and work well. My thread: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198260&highlight=stock+coil+springs

I think you will find those 190lbers' to be too soft. The rig will bottom-out too easily.
CW,
I read in your thread that you cut these down a bit for the desired compressed height? This doesn't change the spring rate correct?

Fred

·
Registered
613 Posts
OK

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Looks like the Rancho 6423 spring are going to be the ones I need. They have an 18" free length and a 240#/in rating. This should put me in at about 5-6 inches of compression and a compressed height of 12-13 inches.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
May as well document this process in case it ends up working out well.

Here is the outline of the planned modifications to increase my wheel travel. Keep in mind this is with no lift and trying to keep the cost as low as possible.
- Remove Sway Bar (Done)
- Softer Coil Springs (240#/in Rancho 6423, 18" freestanding height)
- F-250 Shock Mounts
- Longer Shock Absorbers (Old Fox 2.0 shocks, 8" travel. If this works I'll order new shocks)
- Extended Radius Arms w/ Rod Ends

Here is the sad sight I'm starting with:

I will be reusing the front part of this radius arm where it attaches to the beam. I will cut it about 6-8" from the beam then use 2" tubing to extend it, then box it. Reason I am going this route rather than extending it at the round part is so that I can make a bigger kickout in the radius arm and create more tire clearance.

F-250 shock mounts and Fox 2.0 shocks

Spring will be ordered next paycheck in January.

Fred

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Shouldn't. They are 18" freestanding. They should compress about 5-6 inches once the weight of the vehicle is on them. That should put them between 12-13 inches compressed height which is where it is now at stock height.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts