Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone ever done this? bronco III has a pair of brand new 1.5 leveler springs.
local ford dealer told me i have a coil broken on passenger side and they want 360.00 for a set of stokkers,installed. should i go for the 1.5 and do it myself (is it a bitch to do or just challenging?)or let ford rape me?? :deal

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ill have to yank the truck outta the shop to take a look at what they found
I have a haynes manual so im sure the replacement should be covered in there
Im just afraid that what happened to damager could happen on my bronco,,shes a bit rusty under there. at least the shocks are only 2 months old they should come right off ,,no prob

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
just don't be too afraid of torching the axle stud that retains the lower cup holding the coil in place ... not too much, but don't be scared to heat that baby up if it is rust welded in place ... also SOAK it with a rust penetrant. FILL the cup with that stuff and let it sit and soak overnight prior to getting into it.... every little bit helps

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damager said:
just don't be too afraid of torching the axle stud that retains the lower cup holding the coil in place ... not too much, but don't be scared to heat that baby up if it is rust welded in place ... also SOAK it with a rust penetrant. FILL the cup with that stuff and let it sit and soak overnight prior to getting into it.... every little bit helps
soak it down good before or after heat?
I thought i read that heating penetrant gives it a bond of its own...

·
user title
2,211 Posts
Damager said:
jackstands and a floor jack both are necessary .. possibly a torch to break the rust bond on the bolts
HA!!
I did mine with a few 2x4s, a cynder block, two jacks (regular jacks nonetheless - you know...the ones that come stock with fords?? yeah, two of them). I couldn't get the Bronco into the garage, Dad and I had one of our Jeeps in there in the middle of an engine swap (come to think of it - it's still in there in the middle of the swap...new motor is sitting next to the Jeep with the front end torn off. Oh well...good work takes time...........right?)

Oh well...
:beer
Bill

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
TileitII said:
soak it down good before or after heat?
I thought i read that heating penetrant gives it a bond of its own...

soaking them is the first step ... heat will be the second :thumbup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts