• go away

Votes: 23 32.4%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12/3 10:06p
I spent last weekend fabricating my coilover front suspension on the Bronco. I'm very pleased with the results, but I haven't driven it much because it needs an alignment.

I used the following parts:
Autofab TTB housings
Sway-a-way 2.5" racerunner reservior coilover shocks, 12" travel
Eibach 12" long 3" diameter coils (4) with a 500 lb rate
Custom heimed radius arms and brackets (by me)
Custom shock hoops and engine cage (by me)

I ended up with 15.75" of wheel travel at the flange (where the lugs are), which works out to 17.25" at the hub (pick your measurement). It sits the same as my 4" lift did, but has about 5" more travel. It looks like there is about 9" of uptravel and 7" of downtravel. I will have to hack the metal fenders or swap to fiberglass fenders to use all of the uptravel. When the beams are 1" from the frame the tires are touching the inner fender, and catch the outer fender when trying to turn. I'm currently running 315/70/17 tires (about 34.5") on the gen 1 lightning wheels (17x.

For the rear I will be doing some custom leaf springs (probably 12 leaves of 3/16" material) and some 10" travel SAW 2.5" reservoir shocks. I'm debating on doing a 4 link and making the rear shocks coilovers, but I don't know if I can afford the extra cost for heims and such. I will be posting some pics in my gallery as I take them.

I'll be selling off my 4" rancho lift, Superlift radius arms, Skyjacker leaf packs, etc. in the coming weeks.

Mitch

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
seboh said:
So does this mean you might actually wheel some now?
I will only beleive it when I see it:goodfinge

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shawn,

I'm still not going to wheel :enforce It might get scratched or something... :shrug

I'm hoping to get it geared this month, then it should be trail ready. It's kind of hard to wheel with no front gears.

Mitch

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will be changing the engine cage so it will bolt in, but that will require the sawsall :D Camburg makes some cool bushings for it, but they cost around $30 each. I will be adding more tubes to the engine cage as I go.

The radius arms are my own design. They are roughly the same dimensions as the superlift ones, but mine have heims and don't interfere with the steering at all. They sit completely under the frame rails. I love having my full turning radius back :thumbup

Mitch

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Blaze said:
Damn good job...you might could make a buck or two selling those to members!!:thumbup
I've thought about it, but the heims cost about $280 per pair, so I'd have to charge more than a buck or two. I was also considering using some urethane bushings instead of heims, which would make the cost much easier to swallow, but they wouldn't flex like mine do. I've still got the jig I used to make them, so anything is possible. It's setup for a 4" lift. I'm debating on producing some rear shocks hoops as well, but it'll have to wait til I build a shop.

Thanks,

Mitch

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Yea, I think you could still sell them with regular bushings...they beat the hell out of our stock ones!:thumbup

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
BroncoAZ said:

doesn't look like that axle will want to do any moving in 4wheel...oh i know you get better gas mileage in four wheel no. :toothless

nice setup...how much more flex is that allowing you....and is that more comfy cruising down the road or have you yet to get that far...:beer

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts

Dang sweet job man! That would definately be a nice setup to have. Just one ? though. In the pic I don't see any drop brackets for the front so I am assuming you are running stock suspension setup. Just curious, doesn't look like you would have all that much travel for the front.

·
Bronco Master
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That front axle is just sitting in there. The 3rd member is not installed, I'm waiting for gears and the ARB.

The autofab beams alleviate the need for drop brackets by moving the lower balljoint mount out. This allows a steeper angle on the beams without messing up the camber. This also keeps the steering angles close to stock without using a dropped pitman arm. Height is about the same as a 4" lift, travel is 15.75" at the flange, 17.25" if measured at the hub. It's got about 6" more travel than my rancho lift did, with no binding anywhere.

I'll break out the jack or find a natural ramp this weekend and take som more pics.

Mitch

1 - 20 of 57 Posts