Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '83 F150, it has a little bit of a rake to it. In the rear it appears to have some 1-1.5" spacers.

I would like to raise the front end to level out the truck. New factory-height coils could do the trick, or I might need some 2" coils. Another option would be getting factory-height coils, and if it needs to be raised any higher, I could use a coil spacer.

The end goal is to just make some room for 33's.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
1.5" taller springs are the way to go. Check these guys out. They have a bunch of options. I've used these before (pn DP 351-824SD) for a 1/2 ton plow truck. Worked great. But that may be a bit more spring than you need.
Keep in mind you may need to get adjustable camber bushings if the alignment shop can't align it within spec.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
On a side note that's a clean old truck....

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I was eyeballing the 1.5-2" springs from JBG.

The truck looks good from about 10 feet away :D The PO painted it blue (it was brown)... I like to call it a 'barnyard' paint job.

Also:

Any good sources for tailgate hinge bushings? I've searched through the online parts houses and haven't found anything. I'm missing the bushing for the right hinge. It makes some racket going down the mountain services roads :(

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
just for you info, the rear looks to have the factory blocks by your pics.
:stupid

It looks to me that your u-bolts may be a little loose, letting the block walk around under the spring. Maybe it just looks funny in that pic.:shrug

Take some pics where your truck has been driving straight and with a tape measure at the tops of the wheel wells so I can see how it sits as is. Also, pics of the front suspension too.

I bet some Moog CC824s would level it out. You will probably need a pair of upper ball joint cams to get the alignment in spec.

Bushings for the tailgate: maybe the HELP section of an auto parts store.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:stupid

It looks to me that your u-bolts may be a little loose, letting the block walk around under the spring. Maybe it just looks funny in that pic.:shrug
That's probably true. The bottom-most leaf in the spring-pack is out of alignment.

Take some pics where your truck has been driving straight and with a tape measure at the tops of the wheel wells so I can see how it sits as is. Also, pics of the front suspension too.
It's in desperate need of alignment at the moment, a noticable degree of negative camber on both sides. I've been putting off getting the alignment done until I did some work on the front end.

I bet some Moog CC824s would level it out. You will probably need a pair of upper ball joint cams to get the alignment in spec.
Good to know

Bushings for the tailgate: maybe the HELP section of an auto parts store.
The bushings I'm referring to are at the tailgate hinge, more like metal cups than bushings. (Just trying to make sure we're on the same page). I've already used the "tailgate bushing set" to replace my striker bolt bushings for the doors.

I've got some new poly radius arm and axle pivot bushings on the way (along with new u-joints for the whole front end). It's my intention to lower the front axle assembly and install new balljoints, u-joints, bearings/races, and rotors. (Nothing I'm not capable of, just coils and TTB is new to me... all my previous trucks were K5 Blazers).

Anywho, I'll get those pics and measurements up tomorrow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the meantime, here's another pic I have of the rear end (w/r/t u-bolts and such)

I uploaded it to imgur so I could get the full resolution:

http://i.imgur.com/QET95.jpg

I've replaced the u-joints in the rear driveshaft since that photo, though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
http://imgur.com/a/2Z18H/f150_front_suspension

Rear suspension: Height to top of wheel well: ~37

Front suspension: Height to top of wheel well: ~33.5

Driver's Side:

Center:

Passenger Side:

I can take other pictures if need be. If you want higher resolution, I'll get out the SLR instead of using the cellphone :) Thanks again!

One correction: The front wheels have a noticeable positive camber (contrary to what I stated previously). I've tried taking a pic of it, but have been unsuccessful thus far (mainly because the underside of the truck has less light, and become underexposed). If need be, I'll break out the SLR when I get home from work to get a decent pic.

I should also note that while I do want to raise the front of the truck to try to match the rear, I still don't mind having a little bit of a rake (e.g. if new coils raised the front about 2" or so, I would be fine with that).

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,877 Posts
JGB sells the 1/4" thick steel coil spring spacer for cheep, 1 spacer = 1". 2 spacers = 2". cheap easy and safe.

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Good pictures Jagged. :thumbup Everything up front seems to be in stock form as well. Now are you sure you have positive camber (tops of the front tires are bowed out like this \---o-/)? Usually what happens with well worn TTB springs is that you get negative camber (/---o-\).

I just put a set of Moog CC824s on my truck and it has a slight positive camber that I need to get aligned, after the springs settle in of course.

351w500 is correct that you can use those metal spacers to level up the front in 1/4" increments up to 1" total @ the spring, which I have heard is a little more @ the tire. idk.

This is a link where the spacers are being used:
http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143448&highlight=coil&page=2

Here are the links to JBG:
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33535-coil-spring-spacers-pair.html
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33537-coil-spring-spacers-pair.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's sitting with some positive camber. Either that or I keep parking in ways that make the geometry go funky. I just recently rotated the tires, and there was more wear on the outer edge of the tires than the inner. It needs an alignment nonetheless, but I'm just putting that off until I do whatever it is I settle on doing for the front end.

I've got a pile of U-joints, poly radius arm bushings, and axle pivot bushings. Still need to get some ball joints, new bearings & races for the spindles/hubs, and figure out the levelling thing. Once all that gets done, then I'll drive it down to the alignment shop :thumbup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts