Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The past 2 mornings have been the first REAL cold mornings we have had here...around the low 20s. For here, that is cold. Yesterday, Monday, I drove the truck to work and let it sit for 24 hours, like always, with the Kenwood VHF radio on. I never turn it off.

Yesterday morning the truck was dead. Drove it home and everything was fine. Gauge reading in the normal. Went out and cranked it last night after the GA game (around 1:30) and it cranked fine. It had been sitting about 5 hours.

This morning it cranked, but it was slow. Like it was on the borderline of being dead. Drove it some, and everything is good. I also left the radio on last night.

No visible draws as far as I can see, except the radio. It has never done this before, so could the cold have anything to do with it? Today I am having the alternator and the battery tested at Advance. I am assuming both are good, 3 year old Optima Red Top and a 2 year old Powermaster 140A.

Any ideas? Is it just the cold? I am going to start turning the radio off to see if that helps any.

Thanks guys.:thumbup

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
You left the radio on for 24 hours, why? I would think thats good enough to strain any battery.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You left the radio on for 24 hours, why? I would think thats good enough to strain any battery.
Not the AM/FM radio. Give me some credit, I aint a complete retard:duh

THIS RADIO: NOTE- The Kenwood, not the CB. The CB stays off.

I always leave it one. Never been a problem until the past few days. It has been in the truck almost 3 years.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
mabey that sudden temp drop affected the battery, thats what i think happened. totally different type of "vehicle" but, i worked on the Harrier in the Marines and one time we left NC to go to Yuma, AZ. warm when we left NC, warm in AZ, got back to NC and it was in the 30's. the jets went ape shit. didnt know what to do with that sudden change of temp. had all kinds of bs go wrong.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, turns out the used-to-me 3 year old Optima Red Top couldnt take the cold. Had it tested, and it only showed about 300 cranking amps. Got another one for $130 with my fire dept discount. Easy fix, but frustrating.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, turns out the used-to-me 3 year old Optima Red Top couldnt take the cold. Had it tested, and it only showed about 300 cranking amps. Got another one for $130 with my fire dept discount. Easy fix, but frustrating.
For $130 I can buy 3 batteries any of which will last five+ years. What's special about the Optimas?

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For $130 I can buy 3 batteries any of which will last five+ years. What's special about the Optimas?
This new Optima should last that long as well. It was used in a CB Radio competition truck before I got it, in a dual battery setup. The second battery exploded in a competition. I am glad this one lasted this long.

It has a 3 year replacement/7 year pro rated warranty.

The last regular battery I had siffered from broken plates. That is when I swapped to the Optima.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Always willing to learn new info..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts