Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help...

She is a 96, 351, good spark, clean air, I’m thinking fuel problem but really cannot figure where to start.

The last two mornings it has been about -20 degrees outside and the Bronc takes about 5 minutes to start. It cranks fine and sputters and keeps on cranking. Once she starts it dies immediately if I do not keep my foot on the accelerator. She will not idle on her own until she is warm. This whole process takes literally 5 minutes of cranking and 2 minutes of my foot on the accelerator before she will run on her own.
-I put Heat in the tank last night and ran it for a while and it did not help this morning.
-It starts and runs fine the rest of the day after the initial starting.
-I can hear the fuel pump run fine when I turn the key on.
-New fuel filter last winter
-Same problem last winter and mechanic says he has no idea.
-Only happens when it the temperature outside goes below zero.
-Is not giving off any codes.
-The Bronc is stock.

I think I have included all of the important stuff. If not let me know. I did a couple of searches and turned up empty.

Thanks

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
I had a similar problem in my '92 and went through just about everything. What made the biggest difference was replacing my plugs, cap and rotor. However, it could very well be your coolant temperature sensor. Located right above your water pump. These can go bad and create that type of condition. But it's tough to say if your rig isn't giving any codes.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I have a 92 351 with basically the same problem although I dont have to work with it as long to get it running. I have to jack with it for about 1-2 minutes not 5 but otherwise my problem is identical. Help up out. :banghead

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
My 2 cents

Not that it ever gets horribly cold in Ohio...Ha!Ha!. But if i know the temperature is going into the teens, i plug my Bronc in. I bought a magnetic block heater. This way the oil is at least a little warm and fluid when i go to start it, and it usually fires right up!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts