Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a quick answer:
my buddy needs to get colder plugs for his ranger so he can get rid of spark knock. how do you tell if one plug burns colder than another. i don't know shit about spark plug numbers and all that.

what is the easiest way to tell the kragen moron which plug you need, because i know those guys only read from a book and think thats the only part that will work.

also, if there is carbon buildup on the plug it will be a grayish white ashy knd of color right? the chiltons i have isn't in color so it doesn't help much.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
wouldnt carbon be black?

and white means too lean or hot like what spark knock does to them.

dont know what to tell ya about the colder plugs.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If they're reading from a book, it should have a spark plug ID # breakdown in either the front of the book or the back for the particular manufacturer. This is what I'm most familiar with, Champion plugs, that use letters front and rear of the number for indicating spark plug resistance and heat range.

·
Registered
98 Posts
If the plugs are black its running rich. If they are white its running lean. If they are tan they are probably pretty close to being correct.

Theres A real good chance that his spark knock is not being caused by the plugs being to hot. If its a stock engine theres no chance. If hes running 4 or more psi of boost then maybe or if hes turnning 7500 rpm.

I would look else where like egr stickin open....

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
Here is an explenation on spark plugs for you. click me Unfortunately it doesn't tell you about part numbers, but at least you'll understand more about plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts