Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody!

New guy here...very new. as listed in the intro I have been doing fab work a long time, and have built hot rods, motorsickles, and some veedubs.

I bought the colonel for 800 bones off a guy who took it for a debt on some work he did. I wanted to do a proper thread since I know very little about wheeling. so without further adieu

you can see this thing is pretty solid and why we have named him the colonel!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
phase 1 gut this bitch and see what we see!

I am sure all noticed the passenger side door was sagging pretty bad. The guy told me that he didnt know what the problem was and this was one of the reasons that he sold it so cheap to me. It is simply some hinge pins and bushings. The weight of the door prevented the mechanism from working right so it was jammed...easy peasy fix.

Here is the door line that shows the sag

My good friend bryan had some really nice doors that i will pirate all the guts from windows, cranks, locks, etc

next up take out the seats

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
seats mats and years and years of crapola

once the door worked (kinda) I wanted to get out the interior. This old bronco had the worst seats I have ever seen. here is the dash which was really nice

I knew the drivers side rocker was pretty effed up. you can see straight through, but the rot looks pretty contained

you can see the door panels in the back I took off. The PO painted them black for some reason(I keep thinking for 800 and running like a champ I can't get too upset).

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
seats out....then the mats

well the seats are out. I got the back mat out the floor was in better shape than I expected. the passenger corner inside is a little gnarly and will need replaced but otherwise, I was pretty happy.

I was floored by the amount of dirt inside this thing. I am not kidding when i say the corners behind the front seats in some places were over an inch thick with dirt.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No turning back now....I have a line on some better interior that I hope to nail down tomorrow, then during this week I hope to get the passenger side door working better. Once that gets done, I will transplant the guts from doors I posted earlier.

After the inside is pretty well buttoned up I will move on to the lift. I am still on the fence as to what that will entail. I am fab savvy, so I am hoping to find some threads with patterns for longer radius arms up front for the drop and maybe even some plans for flip shackles etc. I am not against searching, but if any one has any favorites please drop a link!

Thanks in advance for the support!

until next time (hopefully very soon)

·
Registered
153 Posts
That is a great start, outside looks in great condition. The search is your friend (before anyone else says you must) I've been lurking alot here and have found alot of great tips and tricks that have helped me bunches. Keep it up! Love reading these rebuilds and fabs, gives me motivation, just need time and money.

·
ahhhh..... crap!!!
1,820 Posts
it is yellow....great job.....will follow.///

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great day today

well a few things happened to the Mustard monster

1 Cut the rot from the drivers side rocker

I started patching it back up

still much to finish this patch, but the junk yard fairy came....

with new bumpers, seats, interior,brush guard and some other goodies :thumbup

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
new passenger door pins

this was the best cheapest repair 12 bucks for two pins, and 20 mins from start to finish

now it lines up perfect after getting those little grey plastic bushings for the striker plates

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
junk yard fairy

brian (aka the junk yard fairy)

came by with my father in law. We took off the the garbage back bumper and put on this one here are some pix:

POS OFF!!!

The Junk yard Fairy and Terry with the old bumper. You can see it had a tough life

Terry finishing the install

AHh, much better

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Front bumper off

front bumper off. The PO painted a nice chrome bumper silver after bumping it. i will prolly make a tough looking tube bumper. Brush guard...check!

all told a greay weekend. hopefully over this week I can gut the donor doors and finish the patch under the driver door.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks 379! I didnt pick the color. I wanted a Bronco of this gen. and it was only 800 bucks to drive it home. it all works the lights, the dash, the gas gauge, the 4x4. It really just needed some buttoning up as you can see it look very little to get him up to speed.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey every one!....Pix to follow. Lap top went down over the weekend so no post .....

I did a few things. Finished the rocker panel repair to the floors. I took a out all the windows, regulators, and lock parts.

The PO had broken the Cranks and opted for the trusty Vice grip method so the splines were all jacked up. Also the PO had no door keys and the passenger side had no Lock tumbler even.

So now both doors lock and open correctly (WITH KEYS !) and have better less funky fish gill windows.

Hopefully during this week I can post some photos, and finish the rust repairs in the back.

thanks for reading.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
GREAT START ON YOUR PROJECT THAT COLOR YELLOW IS BRIGHT. VERY WIERD COLOR FOR A BRONCO REALLY MADE IT STAND OUT IN THE CROWD.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi everyone! The computer is still down.....i have read a lot of your sas threads. I like leafers. Redwagon's was nice. I came across a 76, 250 high boy. The guy said I could have every thing from the frame down front and back for800 bucks. They are the reverse cut high pinion hd 44 open knuckle front and dana 60 out back. Thoughts on the setup? Thoughts on the price?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
i don't think that is a great price, maybe even a bit high....if you are patient and look around, you could probably get a whole donor for that price or find the axles individually for cheaper. i'd say if you could get it for $600 or less that would be fair. i was able to find an 87 f350 whole for $1200, it had a running 351w that i got $400 for, traded the sterling rear for some 37s, then i had a hp kingpin d60 for me!

what are you building it for, type of wheeling? size tires, etc? depending on how you drive and the type of wheeling you do, going from a 1/2 ton ifs axle to a 1/2 ton solid axle may not be enough as most people agree that a solid d44 isn't a whole lot stronger than a ttb d44.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts