Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Column Shift 4wd, w/pics

Back story:

The truck in my sig started off as an automatic 4x2. I converted to manual 4x2 with parts I had lying around, and then converted to manual 4x4 when I got ahold of another TTB housing.

The driveline that got swapped in was the 435 and twin stick 205 from the red truck in my avatar. However in the wreck, the twin stick shifter got all bent up, i assume from the guys leg hitting it.

So being out my shifter I put the truck together with a shifter only on the rear output. It gave me 2wd hi and lo, and if i needed 4wd I could pop under the truck with a screwdriver to shift it.

Well, the vibes my truck gets from the front DS got annoying so last night i decided to hook the automatic column shift linkage up to the front shift rail on the 205 deciding it would be the cleanest and easiest setup possible since adding a second stick to the 205 would involve dropping it out- not fun.

So here it is:

Turnbuckle and tabs of 1/4 plate is the linkage from the t-case to the bellcrank

red bar is the factory AOD bellcrank

Here you can see where I extended the factory column to bellcrank linkage 3" to achieve clearance between the clutch fork and the linkage that goes to the t-case itself

I still have to do a little tweaking, i can't quite hit low range on the column. To fix that i'm going to have to rotate the tab on the bellcrank that attaches to the linkage from the column so it is a little more horizontal.

Justin

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but i was posting moreso for the concept and not the quality of work.

Right now all i have available to me is a 4" angle grinder and a 110v rod welder. don't even have access to a hand drill :brownbag

It sucks being 2 hours from the shop.

Justin

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Pretty cool. Work with what you got.:thumbup Mabey put some nuts on either side of that turnbuckle so you can lock it in place. Might not be necessary, but couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's on the agenda once i get everything dialed in. that piece of the linkage needs to be a little bit longer and the bellcrank needs to be rotated a little towards the front of the truck.

Once it's dialed in and working right I'm going to wait until I get home and then take it all apart and makes the pieces right. Like right now the inner bellcrank support at the transmission is a piece of random 1" angle iron and half of a motor mount for a '64 390 bolted together through holes that were already there. Not pretty, but it works.

Justin

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its a great concept. I dont think Ive heard of using the colum to shift the t case. The means can always be cleaned up at a later date. I think its nicer than having 3 shifters on your floor. How is the amount of effort at the column shifter? Too much/little?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
right now the effort at the column is a little high, that's why I need to change the angle of the bellcrank.

When you run the column it pushes the first piece of linkage straight down, but the angle on the bellcrank is nearly vertical to start with. it takes a bit of effort to shift it, and once the tab goes vertical the linkage can't apply any more torque to it (since the force end up parallel to the lever arm).

Once the tab is rotated to where it needs to be (nearly horizontal) it will decrease the shift effort and increase the travel of the rest of the linkage.

Justin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts