Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just about to get aroudn to put some sort of cummication device in my truck for up the bush along with 4 other trucks is there any other option besides CB Radios that offer excellent range and reciption ? what are you guys using! thanks scotty

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
HAM Radios would be the way to go if you want a good investment. CB's are okay I guess.

·
Registered
576 Posts
smoke signal's can be seen for miles and miles:histerica:histerica

·
Registered
357 Posts
remember ham radios require a license and us hams do not take kindly to people playing around without one. That being said the license is really easy to get you just have to study up on your radio theory, and electronics safety knowledge.

CB radios are nice to have because the number of people that have them, and they are cheap, its not the radio that makes the difference but the antenna setup. A good radio can be found at amazon for $26 with free shipping. (Midland 1001z), throw in another 40 for an antenna and mount, 10 for a cable and you will be running a plenty good setup for trail communication.

Another option is handheld FRS radios. These are the little "walkie-talkie" style radios that have really become popular in recent years. Used frs radios are pretty cheap on ebay, and any good motorola will work fine. There are downsides with these radios, in your bronco the sheet metal of the car hinders rx and tx signal strength. These radios also do not have near the output power of a C.B.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
CB's are an unholy pile of shit. It pisses me off to no end that I pretty much have to have one in my rig because my wheeling friends are too damn lazy to get off their asses and go get their HAM licenses. Once you experience the audio quality of HAM over CB you will agree with me. Those of you that have only experienced CB don't know how bad you're missing out.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks guys

the 4 trucks have nothign in them ill just put 4 good cb's in thansk alot for your help guys!

·
Side step it
1,584 Posts
Definitely run as good an antenna as you can afford. Even if it's 2-3 times the price of the C.B. itself. Right Channel Radios has kits that include C.B., antenna, coax wiring 18FT, & mounting hardware. You can also piece it together like I did to upgrade the antenna even further & add things like a quick disconnect ( so worth it!) & even a higher quality C.B. Contact Andrew Youderian, sales manager, if you have questions. I was so happy with the service he provided that I just gave him all the info to become a vendor here! The guys money & will keep in touch if you have any problems & will even send you a trouble shooting link to help you install & answer questions! Other members here have used him with the same results, the guy knows Customer Service..... Good Luck!! -Kevin-:thumbup

·
Registered
605 Posts
CB's are an unholy pile of shit. It pisses me off to no end that I pretty much have to have one in my rig because my wheeling friends are too damn lazy to get off their asses and go get their HAM licenses. Once you experience the audio quality of HAM over CB you will agree with me. Those of you that have only experienced CB don't know how bad you're missing out.
I know CB's are always getting a bad rap from Hams but but I see nothing wrong with them as long as they're used in accordance with their intended purpose.

I'm an Extra Class Ham but still tinker with CB.
I'll agree that amateur radio is much broader and can be much more satisfying.
However, I still think a CB is more than sufficient for the guy who puts one in his Bronco simply to stay in contact with his buddies as they motor along in front of or behind him. Beats the heck out of a cell phone for that purpose:beer

·
Registered
133 Posts
So are you saying I should disconnect my 1000w Linear Amp? :toothless
Outlaw :shocked :histerica :toothless

http://wireless.fcc.gov/services/index.htm?job=operations&id=cb

Linear Amplifier Ban
Users may not raise the power output of their CB units. That would be unfair to the other users sharing the channel by raising the level of radio noise. You must not attach a "linear," "linear amplifier" or any other type of power amplifier to your CB unit, Moreover, you must not modify your CB unit internally. Doing so cancels its certification and you forfeit your authorization to use it.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
So are you saying I should disconnect my 1000w Linear Amp? :toothless
SO...if you're implying what I think is true...then keying up your mic and cranking up the juice, you could effectly burn up othe peoples radios? (or is that a myth?)

Kc

·
Registered
133 Posts
SO...if you're implying what I think is true...then keying up your mic and cranking up the juice, you could effectly burn up othe peoples radios? (or is that a myth?)

Kc
More like overriding other people's signal, bleeding over on to other channels, interfering with electronic devices and things like that ... outlaws = :goodfinge

CB is in the 11 meter band, you can talk all across the country when conditions are right. I used to sit in Alaska with a good antenna and listen to guys in California etc

·
Registered
517 Posts

Kc
myth. I drive a big rig and have had the big amps on them 15yrs over the road and have never seen a radio get burned up by some else. I use a peeked and tuned cobra 29 now and found it to be more then enough. I reack out around 2 miles. Any futher would be a wast of money
:banghead

·
Registered
262 Posts
My 2 cents:

Cb's are great for talking between your buddies on the trail or talking between cars on the highway. They are cheap, much more plentiful, and there is no test. Any Joe Blow can use one. Get one, Install it, use it when you have no other choice.

CB + amp: Illegal. Great for talking across the city/state/etc. You can't talk to someone you can't hear no matter how much power you transmit. Bigger mouth, same sized ears. Basically you just become the guy at the dinner party with a bullhorn. You may not be able to hear the people across the room, but they can sure hear you. Don't get one.

FRS Radios: Neat for keeping track of the kids at the mall. Good for staying in touch in the neighborhood, not so good for car to car on the highway, Ok for truck to truck on the trail. Handheld, small, permanently attached antenna. Cheap. Plentiful. No license. Get one.

Ham Radio (specifically 2 meter and 70cm): FM sound quality rather than AM. You can talk/hear about 10-200 miles depending on terrain and power. If you can hit a repeater you can talk forever (Statewide here in Colorado). It takes a little work to get a license. It took me a weekend of reading to get mine, a little more if you don't have a electronics background. The radios are more expensive, antennas are about the same. There are fewer ham radios on the market, and the bands are quieter (sometimes). Get one, you'll never look back.

Cell Phones: Get one, worthless if you are out of range or if the towers go down.

·
Registered
133 Posts
In my experience, an Amateur Radio License is not too hard to get. I went to hamtestonline.com and qrz.com and started taking the practice tests, when I could regularly get 90% passing score or better, I went and paid the $14 and sat for the test. Passed Technician class first try, missed about half of the General questions, and never studied them. You can take the written tests all at the same time for one fee as long as you keep passing.
I hold a General Class License now. Much easier to get once the requirement for morse code was dropped. I tried the test for Extra but bombed that one good.

The License is good for 10 years.

73 DE KE7FNC

1 - 20 of 21 Posts