Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll make this short. My computer died a few weeks ago. I have a full warranty on it. So I took it in and they said 3-4 weeks and we will call you in a couple days to let you know what is wrong. 3-4 weeks? Where the hell do you send them, Korea? Well fine give me a computer so I can run my business. Sorry we don't do that anymore. WTF? The main reason I have a warranty is so s#%t like this doesn't happen. Theres alot more but whatever. It's three weeks later and not so much as a phone call. For all I know they lost it. I have called a number of times and there is allways some half stoned jackass on the line who can't even complete a sentence. I wanted to see what peoples thoughts were on COMP USA and where I should buy my next computer. Sure as hell won't be there. BTW, sorry to anyone who has emailed me recently and asked for pictures or other things. I lost pretty much everything!

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
i decided a few years ago i was never giving the big box companies my money on a computer, so i went to a local pc place and they built me one with the parts "I" wanted for hundreds less than at best buy for the equivalent, and then a month ago i decided to build my own, not hard at all, about 450.00 for a computer you would pay 800-1000.00 for in a store, I would consider the local pc place if you have one close buy, write down what you need in a computer and fax it to them for a quote

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dsotmoon said:
i decided a few years ago i was never giving the big box companies my money on a computer, so i went to a local pc place and they built me one with the parts "I" wanted for hundreds less than at best buy for the equivalent, and then a month ago i decided to build my own, not hard at all, about 450.00 for a computer you would pay 800-1000.00 for in a store, I would consider the local pc place if you have one close buy, write down what you need in a computer and fax it to them for a quote
Thats a good idea Joe, but what about Laptops? I love the ease of laptops and do not want a desktop.

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
BoulderBronco said:
but what about Laptops?
now you tell me its a laptop, Dell laptops are good, i have a Dell inspirion 5100e or something likethat I bought off my boss for 500.00, it has been great, here are some places to look also, i have personally bought from newegg and they are great, but for service I would go with the dell on a laptop

http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=32&DEPA=1

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/DeptNB.hmx?UID=&CID=&Back=

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB

·
Premium Member
10,513 Posts
buy one from me .. I will cut it to cost for you :thumbup ... go to www.pcmall.com and pick the one you want .. we can talk tomorrow if you like

it's all about the Bronco Brotherhood my man :beer

·
College User
2,013 Posts
I second the comp usa sucks. I will never go back, they refused to honor there advertised price and it was not a misprint! :mad: :twak

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,875 Posts
Blaze said:
You can custom build laptops too. I'm with Joe, I'll never buy "cookie cutter" again!:beer
Oh now you got to share this? I have a IMB thinkpad 600 that needs help! It's only a pent II 266mhz, but it's fast enough for EFI tuning. give me links, give me pics, give me cash ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts

if anyone ever needs a nice, VERY CUSTOM, VERY FAST, computer email me [email protected]. this is what i do on the side, im a Microsoft Certified System Engineer with tons of other certifications. I'll help out any bronco bother (or sister) out anytime you need it.

the reason comp usa says it will take so long is this. In order to do certified warranty work on compuers like, dell, hp, compaq, and ibm, you have to be authorised by them ( pay them some money and take some easy test) before you can do a warranty claim. what compianies like best buy do since they are NOT authorized for warranty work (comp usa used to be i though) they have to send it in to hp/compaq/ibm for them to work on. thats why you should NEVER get their warranty UNLESS they are an authorised service center....but then that doesnt mean you'll get it fixed within a week...alot of the times when i order parts from dell, hp/compaq (i work for a place that is authorized for dell, hp, compaq and ibm) sometimes the parts are on backorder for up to 6 months!!!!!!!!!

in order to avoid crap like this...get some guy like ME to build you a computer for cheap...so if it breaks just give to them and they can get the replacement part ALL OVER THE PLACE since they dont have to stick with a specific brand or model. and u can have the computer fixed within as little as 1 hour. weeeeeeeeee

just thought id share my mind :angel

·
In The Matrix
1,896 Posts
Go with dell or hp laptops. Hp because mine simply rocks da haus. And dell because I watched my friends Dad through it across the room and hit the wall. Still booted up, but is cracked is many places.:beer

·
Original FSB.COM Owner
9,560 Posts
kevinkaseykizer said:
thats what my next one is going to look like, right now i have the motherboard, harddrive and just ordered the video card, one pc at a time as money permits, where did you get your clear case, about the cheapest i have found so far is about 65.00 (unassembled)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Get a heater core from an old truck that u have lying around or from the junk yard for 20 bux and build a custom water cooling system. Should cost way under 200 bux and should last you years of cooling for multiple components and their replacements. More efficient (comp component cooling is still very inefficient) than fans blowing on heat sinks and if you design properly, much quieter. I have a project going on right now...will take pics this weekend.

I have also heard that the acrylic cases have grounding issues...but i dunno since I have not used one.

plus check out http://www.craigslist.org/ for computer stuff(I got my flat screen 21" monitor for 220 bux through that site). I see laptops for sale there all the time.

Plus check out www.svc.com and www.newegg.com These are the only two sites I use for comp stuff. SVC is the cheapest on 90% of their stuff and they ship same day in most cases.

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
Domin4nt said:
Get a heater core from an old truck that u have lying around or from the junk yard for 20 bux and build a custom water cooling system. Should cost way under 200 bux and should last you years of cooling for multiple components and their replacements. More efficient (comp component cooling is still very inefficient) than fans blowing on heat sinks and if you design properly, much quieter. I have a project going on right now...will take pics this weekend.

I have also heard that the acrylic cases have grounding issues...but i dunno since I have not used one.

plus check out http://www.craigslist.org/ for computer stuff(I got my flat screen 21" monitor for 220 bux through that site). I see laptops for sale there all the time.
ok, its time to quit playing with computers and install your lift and some bigger tires and get us some action shots!

wes

·
Registered
112 Posts
Bro! I know! Like...the dad isnt diggin me putting the lift on the truck while Im still living here...he thinks its a waste of money and time that i should be spending on school. I am probably going to have to wait till I move out till I can put it on...and I am thinking around June so I can get to snowboard as much as I can this season without having to pay for my own place. =) But for now all the boxes are just sitting in my room...and I am putting some extra time at night to lift my computer :D

·
FSB's Resident A$$HOLE
2,644 Posts
haha, ok, i understand that, my dad was the same way with my bronco, but now he is all for us lifting my bros truck more and slappin on some 36s or 37s! its weird, but i get to do the work and drive my bros truck a lot, so its all worth it

wes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts