Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm starting to shop for parts to do a mass air swap on my 90. all the local shops i have talked to say i need to go mass air to get my bronco to run right with all the mods that have already been done. eventually, i'll compile everything i find, and take pics along the way so i an paste it in the tech write up section.

i am still torn between what computer to run. seems like the easyest my be to run a puter outta a mass air truck with a e4od. am i better off with the truck mass air puter, or since its batch fire should i go with the al9? if its not gonna be a performace differnce between the two, seems the truck computer would be the one to have.

i was told i need to run 2 pound injectors. i found tons on ebay, and mass air meters to match them. can i use 4.6l stang injectors or mass air meters? are they the same as what is used on the 5.0l?

i am still a little unsure about what all it take to change to stock sd wire harness to work with the new puter and mass air meter. i know that has be covered before, and i know fireguy50's site has some infomation on it. when i post in the tech write up forum, i'll make sure to post pics of exactly has to be done.

i know there is things i'm forgeting to ask. i'll come back to this thread and cover them later.

anyone who has done this please feel free to post. what worked, what did not, what things cost, etc.

·
Registered
636 Posts
If you have an E4OD you have to have the PCM to run it. My understanding is the a9l is a mustang PCM and would have nothi8ng at all for the tranny. Seems the best PCM would be one for E4OD/mass air. 95 CA had it, but they are a little hard to find around here. 94 and 95 5.0 had SEFI, which could work, but you would need a twEECer to reprogram that PCM to work with the 5.8.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
I thought all the MAF computers were basically sequential fuel injection instead of bank fire. Therefore, it would seem that it would be easier to get the injector harness and engine harness from a sefi vehicle. The 351W firing order should be the same as the 302HO.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Firing order is not the problem. They are all sequential. BUt you still need the proper tranny controls. E4OD, AODE, 4R70W are not the same. You need a 5.8 PCM to deliver the proper amount of fuel and if you have an E4OD, you definitely need that PCM. You could even go so far as to say that you also need one from a 4WD because it is programmed for when you put it in 4 lo.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BlueBronco said:
I thought all the MAF computers were basically sequential fuel injection instead of bank fire. Therefore, it would seem that it would be easier to get the injector harness and engine harness from a sefi vehicle. The 351W firing order should be the same as the 302HO.

from what i understand the puter in the mass air broncos was batch fire.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95_G&W_XLT said:
Firing order is not the problem. They are all sequential. BUt you still need the proper tranny controls. E4OD, AODE, 4R70W are not the same. You need a 5.8 PCM to deliver the proper amount of fuel and if you have an E4OD, you definitely need that PCM. You could even go so far as to say that you also need one from a 4WD because it is programmed for when you put it in 4 lo.

unless there are any problems with using the bronco mass air puter, i think i would like to run it. one of the problems i have now, is that the truck shifts at wot around 3800 rpms. i dont know if having the engine managed by a differnet computer would help the current puter out. just to keep things simple i'd really only like one computer.

i am still tempted to try to find a lightning sd puter and try it. seems it works well for a lot fo people and they are making a good amount of hp.

the local ford speed shops here i talked to all said stay away for sd set up.
maybe they are just bias, i dont know. i know mass air works. i dont care what system i run, i just want the one thats gonna work best. i'm not made of made of money either, so i really would like to only do this once.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
95_G&W_XLT said:

I was referring to you post regarding SEFI. I realize that he needs a computer for E4OD tranny and that the 4R70W is a different tranny. In fact teh 4R70W wasn't put with a 351W.

The alternative would be to run a A9L and Baumannator tranny controller but that would be $425 cost.

·
Premium Member
7,395 Posts
GearHead said:
from what i understand the puter in the mass air broncos was batch fire.

Some of those 351W computers were also OBDII compliant. I wasn't sure about the batch fire. I should have paid more attention to my 97 F250 HD because it had the 351W and E4OD and was 4x4.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
What are all the mods you've done to your engine? I've upgraded pretty much everything you can think of(except displacement) and I still have SD with a "L" ECM and it works great. Depending on what you've done you probably don't even need MAF. The only reason I didn't go with a 393 stroker was b/c I would've had to go MAF and with an E4OD it's expensive. I can't tell ya for sure but I think the MAF(even Broncos) is sequential. I thought only SD was bank fire. If I'm wrong then notice I said I think/thought. If you do go MAF you're much better off getting the harness, ecm and MAF sensor all from the donor vehicle.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RLKBOB said:
What are all the mods you've done to your engine? I've upgraded pretty much everything you can think of(except displacement) and I still have SD with a "L" ECM and it works great. Depending on what you've done you probably don't even need MAF. The only reason I didn't go with a 393 stroker was b/c I would've had to go MAF and with an E4OD it's expensive. I can't tell ya for sure but I think the MAF(even Broncos) is sequential. I thought only SD was bank fire. If I'm wrong then notice I said I think/thought. If you do go MAF you're much better off getting the harness, ecm and MAF sensor all from the donor vehicle.

see i thought going with the lightning puter would be fine. i looked over your superford page, and we are about in the same boat. what threw me off is the guys at the local shops told me to dump the sd for mass air. neither one of them had the stuff in stock to do the swap, so it wasnt like they were just trying to sell me stuff.
for the money, its way cheaper to go with the lightning puter.

here is what i have done to the motor already:
sd friendly cam with 490ish lift
alum heads 210cc runners, 58cc dish, 2.05/1.60 valves
edelbrock truck intake
bbk 61mm dual throttle body
msd coil
good wires, cap rotor
ngk ur5 plugs(most likly wrong heat range ur5 is stock replacement)
on monday i'm gonna pick up a accufab fuel pressure reg.

like i said earlyer, if i can find a lightning puter cheap, i'll throw that in and see how it works. that was my original plan and maybe get a tweecer. they local guys thought that it was a waste of money too. :shrug

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Sounds like those guys don't know too much. You can definitely keep SD with that combo with no problems. The only problem I see with your combo is the intake runners on your heads. 170 to 180cc is better for low rpm torque. 210cc will push your power band to a higher rpm, it'll still run fine but you will just lose some in the lower rpms. Save yourself a lot of money, keep stock size 19# injectors, use a "L" ECM and give it a shot.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RLKBOB said:
Sounds like those guys don't know too much. You can definitely keep SD with that combo with no problems. The only problem I see with your combo is the intake runners on your heads. 170 to 180cc is better for low rpm torque. 210cc will push your power band to a higher rpm, it'll still run fine but you will just lose some in the lower rpms. Save yourself a lot of money, keep stock size 19# injectors, use a "L" ECM and give it a shot.

what do you run your fuel pressure at?
isnt there a way to see how much you need my engine vaccume?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts