Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

A few days ago the engine was idling very rough, cutting out, tough to restart. Mechanic examines and disovered that the FPG was dumping fuel into the intake manifold. So he changed that. While there, he inspected, cleaned, and tested the throttle body assembly. This area checked out fine. Vehicle idling much better but he noticed a slight misfiring. He check, spark plugs, wires, timing and they all panned out fine. However, when he conducted a compression test on each cylinder, he noted that my number 6 and 7 cylinders are low in compression. He said something about my cylinders being around 50-60 lbs but that they should be a good deal higher.

I drove it home last evening and it seemed to run fine although the idle was a bit high. Around 1100 - 1300 out of gear and 700-900 underload. But no surging yet slight mis.

This morning, she cranked up with no problem. Drove her to work about 8-10 miles. Sweet! Pulled into my parking space and she began surging a bit, then evened out.

Mechanic states that a complete rebuild will run about $1700. My question is are there any "tricks" or adjustments that I can conduct or have the mechanic do to help this motor live a bit longer?????

Seems as though I'll be looking to replace or rebuld the engine. Stock 302, 158,000 on the clock.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!!

CLHAY!

Roll Hard!
:cry :( :confused:

B

·
0 Posts
Could be rings,valves, or maybe a head gasket is going. Did the mechanic determine it was rings? You squirt oil in the low cylinder and test again. If compression goes up it's rings and if it stays the same it's valves. $1,700 rebuild could be just a valve job or cheaper yet, a head gasket. I dropped two cylinders when my engine was pinging as it blew/burned the gasket out between cylinders 3&4.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,842 Posts
do as blown suggested, its the best way with out tearin everything down. just an fyi you can get a new 302 with 7yr/70,000 warranty for around $1100 or so. heres the link

http://www.ford-motors-engines.com/index.html

later

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Yep. I put in a new 302 complete with hoses, water pump, motor mounts, cap/plugs/rotor, wires, plugs, t-stat, etc, etc..... and installed complete for under $ 1,700.00 :shrug

and a warranty.........

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
94xlt - if you don't mind, may I ask what you paid for the work you had complete?:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts