Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 26 gallon kobalt compressor and it fills up with air fine. The problem is when it goes to refill itself all I hear is the motor turning on then off. I let it sit for a bit and it works fine. Then it does it again. any ideas I called lowes where I bought it and there no help.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
Off the top of my head I'd say it's the regulator---the one that measures tank pressure and sends the signal to the motor to start up again when the pressure drops below xxx lbs. On another tangent, can you find out who actually built this thing and get a schematic? (here's a hint, I highly doubt it was 'built' by Kobalt, they just stick their name on them)........

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
ill try to find out who makes it. Is there any way to test if the regulator is good
Not my area of expertise, but basically they either leak---or don't allow air in or out. I've taken a few apart and cleaned and lubed thm, with pretty good luck. But be forewarned----when doing so I've seen regulators that were made in Italy (my Hitachi) or made in Korea (my Porter Cable). And years ago I had a Cambell Hausfield that I bought from Homey Cheapo---when the reg went bad I found a company up the street that had one. Then he asked me to repeat the part number on it. When I did he told me that he couldn't sell me one (for like $22.00) and would have to order it from C/Hausfield directly (for like $58.00).

Go figure.......

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
When you say you can hear the motor turn on and off does the motor actually run or is just buzzing like its locked up?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Sounds more like a low voltage/voltage drop issue. My uncle and I had trouble with his 26 gal compressor because we had it plugged into an extension cord, and the circuit already came a good way to begin with. Once we plugged it directly into the outlet, the problem seemed to go away.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
100 ft or less and at least 12 gauge extension cord

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
i've got a small emglo that won't run off a 12 ga. 100ft. cord.i plug it straight into the outlet and it runs fine....just gotta have a lot of air hose.

Yup, the compressor may only require 12---15 amps while she's running, but at start-up the current draw is much more.

On another tangent, I'm wondering why this thing is not tripping any breakers?...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Sounds more like an issue with the bleed off for the head pressure. When the pump stops there is a valve that should release the pressure in the head and the air line to the tank. That will allow the compressor to start without full tank pressure holding the piston back. After it sits for a while the pressure is bleeding off from the line and head, probably through the reed valve or the piston seal, and it will work fine.
The buzzing noise you're hearing is the motor trying to start, but it can't do that without getting a running start with no head pressure. After it buzzes for a few seconds the overload protector on the motor cuts the power off untill it resets itself at which point it may buzz again, or it may start up if thepressure bled down.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts