Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a new laptop with vista on it and I just got a usb-style printer since I no longer have a printer port. The printer will not install (since I'm sure it is for XP) and I have no way to print my homework. Finals is next week, projects are due this week, I'm ****ed if I cant print it. (Not totally ****ed but I'd have to wake up at 5:30 drive the truck 20+ miles to my dads work and back just to get a couple of stupid papers) PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
First, calm down a bit.

Second, make and model of the printer please.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
ALOT of printers are not going to work with vista.. We just went over this last week in my computers class. Think of it from perspective of the printer manufacturer. Which are they going to do, invest money for programmers to make new drivers for existing hardware, or sell a new printer to you with drivers that support vista?

Best bet might be to go down to your local Best Buy/Circuit City and look on the specs for a printer that works with Vista. You could always use that printer on some elses' computer with XP too..

If you're in Uni they have to have computers with printers also.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First, calm down a bit.

Second, make and model of the printer please.

Printer: Lexmark Z645
Connection Type: USB

Email it to yourself, go to school and print it there. **** Vista. I have it on my laptop and it blows hairy gonads.
They would let us print but that laptops at school are shit and half of'm dont connect. The thing is, it is due first period tomorrow

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
ALOT of printers are not going to work with vista.. We just went over this last week in my computers class. Think of it from perspective of the printer manufacturer. Which are they going to do, invest money for programmers to make new drivers for existing hardware, or sell a new printer to you with drivers that support vista?
:scratchhe

Um, yeah. They HAVE programmers that do nothing but specifically write drivers for their hardware... they're already being paid, so they might as well do something. It just takes a while for them to release them sometimes. I've modded drivers before, and it's not that difficult. I've never seen a SDK for Vista yet, so I couldn't tell you why they might not have released a certain set of drivers for something, but I can't see why a common USB driven device wouldn't have a set of drivers eventually.

BK, have you looked at Lexmark's website for updated drivers yet?

Wait, I did it for you, by typing "Vista Lexmark z645 drivers" in google.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe...&searchLang=en&os_group=Windows Vista&target=

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
whoever your computer teacher is should be kicked.

Drivers are constantly updating for every component of the software you get with any peripheral device. When you buy something like a printer, and you get software with it, part of what you have paid for is the license to use their software, that's why they always update them, to get the most out of your device. You don't own the software, you have paid for the license to use it.

Bronco4Life pretty much nailed it on the head. Check your drivers, then security settings in Vista.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:scratchhe

Um, yeah. They HAVE programmers that do nothing but specifically write drivers for their hardware... they're already being paid, so they might as well do something. It just takes a while for them to release them sometimes. I've modded drivers before, and it's not that difficult. I've never seen a SDK for Vista yet, so I couldn't tell you why they might not have released a certain set of drivers for something, but I can't see why a common USB driven device wouldn't have a set of drivers eventually.

BK, have you looked at Lexmark's website for updated drivers yet?

Wait, I did it for you, by typing "Vista Lexmark z645 drivers" in google.

http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-pe...&searchLang=en&os_group=Windows Vista&target=
it worked! thank you very much

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
:thumbup

Yeah, look at video card drivers... shit, those things roll out in several release candidates a week!

One RC of a driver they drop may work perfect in 85% of systems and be flaky in the other 15%, which is why they're always tuning and tweaking, or redesigning them all together.

They don't just roll out another whole new line of hardware because of an OS change. That'd just be ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, they roll out a new line of hardware that has base technologies specifically designed for it (EG new lines of video cards for DX10, only available with Vista), but the older stuff still works fine with it, just needs drivers to integrate.

Something like a printer, they're going to make a driver for it, because people would rage if their one year old 5500 dollar laser super copier thingamajig didn't work with the new OS out. And there would be insane rage from IT departments all over the world about it.

:rofl: Not that there wasn't.

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
They don't just roll out another whole new line of hardware because of an OS change. That'd just be ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, they roll out a new line of hardware that has base technologies specifically designed for it (EG new lines of video cards for DX10, only available with Vista), but the older stuff still works fine with it, just needs drivers to integrate.
I guess you're referring you're replying to what I said, and I know that's the case. But there has to be new models out there that have been produced since the launch of Vista that would work fine. It would pay off anyway, alot of times two ink cartridges are more expensive for your current printer than going out and buying another whole new inkjet printer.

·
Fullsize Member
4,167 Posts
what i did in college if my things wouldnt print was to put it on a disk, and print it in the library, or just explain the situation to the teacher and give them the disk

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
I guess you're referring you're replying to what I said, and I know that's the case. But there has to be new models out there that have been produced since the launch of Vista that would work fine. It would pay off anyway, alot of times two ink cartridges are more expensive for your current printer than going out and buying another whole new inkjet printer.
you also get what you pay for.

if you buy a $30 printer, you're getting a printer that you plan on replacing .

I spent a pretty hefty amount on both my printers. I wouldn't plan on replacing them when i change Operating Systems.

The reason it's taking so long for drivers to come out for printers on Vista is because the printer companies are putting all their programming resources into the high end printers, and working down to the cheap printers. Vista drivers are a big change from XP drivers, and it takes quite a bit to alter a driver to work on Vista.

Microsoft Tech support kind of knew of this. That it would take a while for the printer companies to get to the low end printers, and hence they were telling people to replace their printers with newer ones.

Both my printers are well over 2 years old and work on Vista and the drivers were almost readily available.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts