Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.... Im at my sisters place and i was installing her old hard drive on their other computer. I did this before on my computer and had no problems. I did this on her computer and i keep getting a disk boot error or something like that.

Heres what i did.. I pulled the hard drive and switched the jumper on the back to slave drive mode then put it in her computer. connected the power and that connector thing to the back. started the computer up and got that error. i checked the jumper and it was right. i made sure everything was plugged in right and it was.. still didnt work.. any ideas?

figured id post this for the night owls.. thanks

·
Registered
213 Posts
Raf--check the existing drive that is in the PC--some HD's require a jumper when they are used in a master/slave configuration, but need no jumpers when used by themselves.

Also--is the BIOS seeing the drive? If not, you may need to go into the BIOS setup and enable "auto-detect" for the primary IDE slave drive

not much, but it's a start--ask away, maybe we can get it figured out

Jim

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jimzdat said:
Raf--check the existing drive that is in the PC--some HD's require a jumper when they are used in a master/slave configuration, but need no jumpers when used by themselves.
Jim
Pulled the drive and it doesnt have a jumper on it.. Weird.
Can i get one at like Office Depot or .. Dont feel like driving out to Fry's....

Ill probably come back this weekend and give it another shot..

Another unrelated question... I had 2 extra 128mb pc133 sticks that i installed on their computer. It only had one stick in it.. Dont know what size it was.. Anyway i looked at the properties and it only shows 184mb of ram when it should have at least 256 plus what it had before.. :cry

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
I know that so PC's are only able to recognize up to a certain amount of ram, unless you change something in the way they're configured in the BIOS, and even then its no guarantee. Depending on how old your pc is, it ma not be able to recognize it.

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
Raf, you can enter the BIOS right when you are booting up the PC generally you have to push F2 for set up. Hold it down and it will take you to a menu. On this menu, there should be a selection for RAM or recognizing RAM or something to that effect. Its varies by computers, but once in there it is pretty self explanatory.

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
downloaded a BIOS agent checker thing and ran it.. it lists that the max memory is 384 and the installed memory is 192. I clicked on the more info button and it shows 3 slots and each slot says that it has a 64mb stick.

edit.. thanks for that info.. ill restart and see if i can get it working..

·
Super Moderator
14,716 Posts
The two extra stick of RAM you had, were they new sticks or did they come out of another PC. I have seen sticks that were bad before, that's why I'm asking.

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
wasnt able to get to that setup menu when restarting..
i ran some RAM troubleshooter in windows and it did nothing..

the 2 sticks are brand new. I bought them for my computer but i didnt install them because i only had 2 slots.. i thought i had 4 like on my old computer.. they are kingston pc133 128mb

Info on the computer.. Its a Compaq Presario 5301 .

BTW.. I love DSL.. this computer has free netzero dialup.. wow............ i couldnt live with that..

·
Registered
259 Posts
What operating system are you running? If you're running XP you dont have to make any changes to anything, its pretty much plug and play.

·
Registered
282 Posts
How old's the computer? If it's very old (I know nothing about the configurations of Compaq's), the mother board may not support pc133. Not likely, but it's possible. Check to make sure that you installed it securely and correctly first.

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
she got the computer in 1999. There was a company giving them out for free but you had to use it like 5 hours a week and the computer had ads covering up alot of the screen.. After about a month i guess some courts said it was illegal or something. They sent out letters explaining how to disable the program.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Is it a PC that has the video integrated on the motherboard? Some machines that have integrated video use some of your system RAM as video RAM. That might be why it's reporting less RAM than you actually have. There is usually a setting in the BIOS where you can delegate how much RAM will go toward the video. Just a thought.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Try this... take out the old ram and see what happens, but don't forget to move the other two over. If it boots at all check how much ram 98 is reporting. If it's screwy, I'd say the board won't support the pc133. I don't suppose your mom kept or got any documentation for the mother board with the computer, did she? If she did, it should say what it supports.

·
huh
7,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DrtyFrank said:
I don't suppose your mom kept or got any documentation for the mother board with the computer, did she? If she did, it should say what it supports.
my mom??

it ran with just the new sticks. i tried a couple of combos.. each time it listed as 64mb per slot.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts