Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. BEFORE the "search, dude" stuff starts, I DID try the search, but appearntly, I either didn't phrase it right, or, it's not listed. What I am needing to know is this: Can I use the comp. from an AOD Bronco with 5.0 when I swap over to a bulldog 4 speed tranny? My AOD is NOT electronic, so I would "think" that it wouldn't matter, other than having to "bypass" the NSS. This is on an 89 model, BTW. Thanks gang. :thumbup

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
wtf is a bulldog transmission?

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Some" people call it a "granny" transmission, you know, the GOOD stuff.... T18, NP 435 type of thing. Normally has a very low low gear, then first, second and then third.
If the timing curve is different, then that is not a problem, IF it is the only, or one of the minor things to be dealt with. I thinking that the biggest "problem" will, hopefully, be the engine not wanting to idle down in between gear changes, or at idle, at a light or stop sign type of thing. THAT I can work around.
Thanks for the input so far.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
never heard them called a bulldog trans. always heard of them being called a top loader though.

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Most likely, just a "regional" difference thing, Jopes. The term "top loader" stems from waayyy back in the 60's from when the transmissions were shifted by a normal, to us these days, top mounted shifter, instead of the older side mounted rod/linkage setup. My 66 Falcon Sportcoupe has the old style sidemounted rod/linkage set up, and it sometimes will bind when the bushings have been getting hammered hard during roadraces that I compete in. I would REALLY like to step up to a "top loader" but I can't due to running in the "Vintage" classes.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
I was fairly sure toploader referred to how the trans was put together as in everything was loaded in from the top. :scratchhe

·
RBV Abuser, F/S user
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, then. We will give it a try once my pedals get here...

Thanks again, gang. :beer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts