Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some hard drive failures which has left me near computerless this week.

I am putting in new ones, but I want to be able to install windows on 1 hard drive and basically have a copy so if the first fails I can just pull it, and toss the other one in there.

could I use raid 1 and once everything is installed unplug the drive and save that as my backup?

I am getting tired of loosing stuff. I have been using raid 5 but for some unknown reason this is the second time in the last year 2 drives failed at the same time. :mad:

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Why would you bother unplugging the HD if it's in a RAID 1 config? Just leave it in, that's the awesome point to having RAID 1.
If you're trying to create a complete disk backup, use Acronis Disk Director 10, it's worth having around for these sorts of things.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why would you bother unplugging the HD if it's in a RAID 1 config? Just leave it in, that's the awesome point to having RAID 1.
If you're trying to create a complete disk backup, use Acronis Disk Director 10, it's worth having around for these sorts of things.
because I am going to run 5 other drives in raid 5 for storage. I have room for 6 drives, but I want to be able to just drop the bad drive out and put the other one in. I am tired of it taking a month to reinstall everything. :thumbup

that is put in the one with OS and programs, not the ones in raid 5

·
Registered
146 Posts
One of the wonderful things you can do, is once you get your install just the way you want it, you can create an "image". One of the easiest ways is to use Norton Ghost... But it's expensive to buy. If you want to get clever, you can slipstream an install by using BartPE, a quick Google will give you a lot of information. I think there are some newer 3rd party applications to create a Windows image, I will have to look around and post back.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Yeah building a RAID array just to copy something and tear it back down seems like a waste of energy to me. I would definitely ghost the drive every month or so and just be done with it.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
are there any free programs out there that can ghost the drive then?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
None that will fully copy the HD with all partitions inc the Master Boot record. I second Acronis, even there home edition should come with a "recovery" cd. You don't need to install the program if you have that disk either OE or burnt.

The awesome thing is if you have external hard drives to back up to (or if you just want to save the image to another drive) is you can do it all within the boot cd out side of windows in an fairly easy and straight forward program. And if you don't have any external drives but have a NAS or similar over a network you can back up to that as well.

I've been using it, and it has already saved me a full reinstall on my laptop when I had to replace my cable modem. I had to install unwanted crap just to activate the internet again.

FYI if you go network route for me it took 45mins to back up 10gb of data to a storage server, and 15mins to restore the drive over a 100mbs connection to the same server (used different switches)

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well I fired up the computer and currently backing up what I can. then I am pulling these 4 drives 4 the trash and putting in a new drive for my boot, then this week I should have my other drives for my storage stuff.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I see, I'm in the same spot. Need a mobo with 10+ Sata3 connections!! :D

I dunno if it applies to you, but most of the big HDD manufacturers have a three year warranty.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see, I'm in the same spot. Need a mobo with 10+ Sata3 connections!! :D

I dunno if it applies to you, but most of the big HDD manufacturers have a three year warranty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136062&cm_re=wd1600ys-_-22-136-062-_-Product/[url] click and read all the poor and very poor reviews. these drives seem like they were trash out of the box. :banghead

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
God help us if Jopes cant get on facebook :goodfinge

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I thought it said 2 drives with one dead and one was degraded, but I was able to slap in a new drive and rebuild the raid so I lost nothing and right now it's alive, but I have full backups. :D

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Couple things:

Do you know why these drives are failing? Bad drives or is the RAID controller messing things up. Contoller issues are usually the case when you see multiple drive failures or degrading drives. I remember you had an issue a while ago so this is why I ask. Verify the firmware on the raid controller is up to date as well as drive firmware. While you can mix and match drives the best performance comes when they are all the same and at the same firmware versions.

Do you have a UPS or just a surge suppressor? Power is often an issue with drives failing.

RAID 5 is not a good boot drive option. RAID 1 the OS drive and RAID 10 or 5 the data storage drives. Best setup is to have separate raid controllers for the os and the data arrays.

Have you thought about running your OS virtual? VMWare or Citrix XEN can be had free for a single box.

Or get you self a thin client with embedded OS and setup an Amazon account for their cloud computing and run your OS and data there. That stuff is the $hit.

I'll stop now.:toothless

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a big 1300ups on the system.

I honestly just think these 160gb drives are junk. I am still undecided on how I want to go with it. For now everything is running fine with only replacing one drive. I am thinking about getting a different case with more room inside for drives :D All drives in this one are not double stacked to allow efficent cooling. But if I add more drives then I will have to stack them.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Am I missing something here, or why are you trying to run 5x 160gb drives? I realize the cost effectiveness of 160/320 drives is fairly high, but why not upgrade to a pair of 750's or a pair of 1TB drives. Or, keep your OS/programs on one of those 160's and buy 2 750's to Raid 1 for storage. Unless you were running those 5 drives in JBOD. You said you already got a new drive in, what size was it? If its small again, just use that as your primary system drive with a 160gb drive set to Raid 1, you shouldn't have an issue running the 320 at 160gb size anyways, it would even allow you to allocate a very high cluster size to increase performance a bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

90 dollars for 1TB of storage, and Samsung drives are pretty damn solid to boot (hah I made a punny!). Hell, I hadn't realized that TB storage was THAT affordable, my god. I may buy one just because I'm getting sick of transferring stuff around from my 160GB hard disk to my 500gb external.

That's another option for you, buy a small 2.5" external drive and plug it in USB/Esata and use that as a backup. Leave it unplugged from power and the computer for safety reasons if desired.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
why?

free! :toothless

1 - 17 of 17 Posts