Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wanting to hide the MSD ignition module in my Bronco. It has a rev limiter and the kids are going to be driving it soon. I was going to turn down the RPM's to about 4k so they dont kill themselves or tear my build up. As long as its out of site out of mind the boy wont know to hunt it down and figure out how to adjust it. If he asks I will tell him it has the pill in the dizzy. The girl will have it for at least the next 1-1/2 yrs so I am not worried about her wanting to blow the motor up.

Anyways I have been thinking of where to put it. I dont know if maybe there is enough room behind the glovebox or under the dash. This way I can just go through the firewall with the wiring.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
I'm not sure of a good hiding place because of traceable wires but why not make a steel box and lock it in there. It could make a great heat sink if done right too.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whatever stock stall is. I have considered the lock box idea. I even considered usin an ammo can. I could make a lock box out of some light plate. Or I could use some heavy gauge sheetmetal. My buddy has a sheet metal shop with a break and everything. We could solder it all together. I could put a hasp on it with carriage bolts on the outside.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure of a good hiding place because of traceable wires but why not make a steel box and lock it in there. It could make a great heat sink if done right too.
Throw some ideas at me on how you would build it for a heat sync too. Could I put a fan on it like a harddrive has? What kind of voltage do they run on ?

·
not banned
5,970 Posts
so, it locks up at a stock RPM.

mine even when i am doing 65, my RPM never get over ~3500.

can you get your RMPs that high with an auto? how hi have you seen them climb?

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
Don't worry they'll wreck it anyway, hidden, limited or not.
Take bets on it? ;)

Been jumped for speaking words like those before! LOL :)

Wasn't a year before they were trying to hide the vehicle
damage or bellyaching at me about the cost of the wreck.

It's not about trust, it's about being young.

And it's not about quick reactions and being skilled either.
Young moto-crossers (etc) have had the same results.

It's about getting their "hair straightened", I call it.

Come back to this thread and let us know how long the
Bronco lasted in the hands of kids, ...ok? :)

Alvin in AZ

·
A broke kid with a bronco
4,065 Posts
Hard drive fans are usually 12 volt.

Heat sink it by mount directly to nice clean metal. Even put some CPU paste on it. Large surface are is the key. Fins on the outside to dissipate and fins on the inside to soak the heat up. More surface area the better. I never really though of using an hd fan but be sure to filter it. 2 fans I would think would be plenty. One pushing air in, one pulling the air out. Heck look on eBay for a computer heat sink and mount on the controller.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts