Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
One Cold North Dakotan
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at youtube videos and at some random pictures on google to see how people were mounting their amps. It seems that those who do a "nice" setup carpet the whole trunk or back area of the vehicle and mount it down to that. Those that don't go that route screw it down onto the subs themselves.

I was wondering if this is really a good idea..? I would think that vibrations could be bad for the amp at high volume, and would probably wear on the components inside faster? Out of curiosity I took the bottom panel off my 1200W sony amp to see what was in there and I just saw a big circuit board and that was all, but I imagine there's (no expert here) capacitors and transistors and what not that might not be happy with big vibrations?

·
Registered
593 Posts
my amp is on my sub box. i've had no problems.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
It'll be fine on the sub box.

It's subject to those vibrations no matter where you mount it in the car if the amp is bolted to something and the box is bolted to the body, so why would it be any different?

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Well i did this too and i read that it is not good to mount to the box, becuase it can rattle some shit loose in there so i didnt take a chance. i mounted mine to the sidewall.

·
Registered
453 Posts
ive mounted myne under the seat i had a bracket to stand it up and i keep going back to mounting it on the box. ive never had a problem.

·
Lick my
2,086 Posts
It really doesnt matter where they get mounted. The only thing the amp really needs is a bit of open space so it can be cooled. I mounted the one in my car between the rear seat and the box in the trunk. The problem was that the amp was confined a bit and it got lazer hot and went into "protect" mode a couple of times. I re-mounted it under the passenger seat and it barely gets warm now.

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Just bolt it to the ceiling. Make sure you use grade 8 sheet metal screws or it wont hold though.

·
I see Broncos
6,010 Posts
Mine has been on the box since I bought it. works fine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You could screw it to the back of the rear seat. A friend of mine did this in his Exploder.

Mine's in my truck, and I have it mounted to the rear panel:

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
My amp died a while back, and it was mounted on the box. I can't specifically say that the vibrations were the problem, but I'm taking a guess it was. I'd go the "better safe than sorry" route and remote mount it.

It'll be fine on the sub box.

It's subject to those vibrations no matter where you mount it in the car if the amp is bolted to something and the box is bolted to the body, so why would it be any different?
The vibrations elsewhere are far less severe.

·
Registered
11,108 Posts
True, they are much less severe. To what extent, who knows, depends on a lot of factors, but for the most part, I'd say that if an amp was built in a fashion that vibrations were going to effect it, they either do, or don't regardless of intensity (to a reasonable extent).

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You can mount it on the box with no problems, or you can build a false floor, or you can do the sixlitre hidden compartment, or under the back seat, or in the cargo pocket in the rear.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I had mine mounted on the back of my sub box too...when I actually had the subs.:cry Unfortunately the subs, box and amp were stolen. And it definitely helped the thieves to have the amp screwed on directly to the back of the box...so keep that in mind.

I also had some problems with my subs cutting in and out some times. Not sure why they were doing that...could of been a short somewhere, but it could of been the vibration. I never got around to finding out what it was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts