Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 8.8 rear end and a D44 front end and I want to regear it to 4.56s. I'm just confused on what type of locker I'll need (LS,OS,locked). I know this has been discussed but all the forums just confused me more. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
What's hard to understand?

You don't NEED a locker, or any other type of differential other then your current one. If you wheel a lot, or find yourself in situations where a traction aid might come in handy, then you need to consider the type of offroad needs you have.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,192 Posts
I have an 8.8 rear end and a D44 front end and I want to regear it to 4.56s. I'm just confused on what type of locker I'll need (LS,OS,locked). I know this has been discussed but all the forums just confused me more. Thanks for any help.
There are a few different ways to "lock" a rearend as you call it.

First: Locker
Most expensive, but provides full traction to both wheels. It is unlockable as well, which makes it act like an open rearend while driving, until locked.

A spool does the same thing as a locker does but you cannot unlock it...it is permantly locked. Not a good idea with a daily driver I would think.

A limited slip is better than an open rearend, as it helps transfer some of the torque to both wheels. BUT, if it is worn really badly, then its almost useless. I also hear they are kind of squirrly in the snow/rain if youre hard on the gas

Search to find out all the differnt kinds, but those are the most common. It also depends on how you wheel. IDK if ill ever really need anything more than an open rearend for a while...

KC

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was reading that locker thread on here, and it was just confusing me so I asked. Thank you for all of your help. Since it's mainly DD, I probably wont be getting a new locker. I thought you had to when you got new gears. :banghead

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
9,041 Posts
I was reading that locker thread on here, and it was just confusing me so I asked. Thank you for all of your help. Since it's mainly DD, I probably wont be getting a new locker. I thought you had to when you got new gears. :banghead
You don't have to get a locker, but you will need at least a new carrier for the D44 if your existing gears are 3.73:1 or lower (Numerically). IIRC the carrier change is between that & 3.92:1 & up (Numerically). The 8.8 uses the same carrier throughout. If you eventually want to add lockers, or LS, etc., it could save some money to do it all at once.

Here's a couple of good threads on lockers, etc.. Most of our trucks came stock with open differentials.
All About Lockers peteyg
What's the DIFF??? Steve83

·
Administrator
2012 Jeep JKU
22,859 Posts
There are a few different ways to "lock" a rearend as you call it.

First: Locker
Most expensive, but provides full traction to both wheels. It is unlockable as well, which makes it act like an open rearend while driving, until locked.

A spool does the same thing as a locker does but you cannot unlock it...it is permantly locked. Not a good idea with a daily driver I would think.

A limited slip is better than an open rearend, as it helps transfer some of the torque to both wheels. BUT, if it is worn really badly, then its almost useless. I also hear they are kind of squirrly in the snow/rain if youre hard on the gas

Search to find out all the differnt kinds, but those are the most common. It also depends on how you wheel. IDK if ill ever really need anything more than an open rearend for a while...

KC
lets correct some mis-information....

you need a selectable locker to be able to unlock it at will, a normal locker only unlocks when pressure is off it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts