Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just trying to find out the worst that could happen to me if i dont have the funds to pay a fine?

Its $205 bux fine and the cop was going leanent, just ticketed me for "Failure to obey a traffic control device" It was one of those damnd if you do, damned if you dont moments.

The light was so short being yellow and doing 55mph wasnt helping since the intersection is kinda a f*cked up highway. and as soon as i went under the light it turned red. :duh and a coped cited me for that.

so whats the worst that can happen? and can you bargen with the cops to see if they understand?

·
ASSSSS-HOOOOOLE
2,442 Posts
well, i know what happens if you don't pay it, they suspend your license and the fine multiplies like 20 times over. I think in arizona you can pay payments, or have it garnished from your wages. When's your court date?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Take your chances in court, if you have a good driving record there is a good chance if you were cooperative with the cop at the time of the ticket the judge may dismiss your case. If not most courts will allow you a certain amount of days to pay the fine.

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
A local radio station here, was talking about writing a check for the fine about $3-$5 over the amount. They said they couldnt process the check b/c it wasnt for the right amount, and that the check had to be returned. I guess the process takes forever, and it ends up getting forgotten about(or something like that). On guy called in, and explained what he did, and the ticket never went on his record, and he never ended up paying a dime.

I'm not in any way saying do this, I just wanted to see if anyone has heard, or tried it?

I would look into making payments. I'm too lazy to go to court.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
go to youre court date.... in TX if the officer doesn't show up it's dropped

worst that happens is you still have to pay it... but here they let you defer it or make payments if you need to....

if you ignore.... it it will go into warrant staus and next time you are pulled over there is a good chance you will be going to jail

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
adrianspeeder said:
No, the GEM won't shift into or outof lowrange unless the truck is stopped, brakes applied, and the shifter in the neutral position.

Adrianspeeder

bbj, why is all ure stuff red

·
Banned
6,933 Posts
The kid's been licensed for less than a year. Advising him to take his chance in court isn't a good idea if he doesn't already know what can happen to him if he can't afford the fine. Maybe his parents will loan him the money. I say, "Pay up, and drive more carefully."

But somehow, what he posted leaves a lot of unanswered questions. What was the speed limit (he said he was doing 55mph)? The cop was lenient and only ticked him for running a red light - not speeding? :scratchhe What else is there?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks marv for the insight,

I've had my license going on 2 yrs now, been a carefull driver never got pulled over before that unless it was driving a uninspected vehicle within the instpection grace period.) And my mom was with me at the time of the incident. she told me, if you try stoping you would of been in the middle of the intersection and if you kept going it would of been (to the cop) running a red light.

Um speed limit was 55mph, my dash said on the 55 line, cops radar said 60. have to readujust that somewere

I have to have the fine paid by 1/26/06. it was a state cop to. he could of gotten me for having no insurance on the vehicle, running outa state plates while i live here in ny, running with an outa state license while i live in ny.

But the insurance part would not of held up as in nh you dont need insurance to register/license/drive on the roads. only forced to have it, if you were in an accident and you were more than 50% liable and caused death.

And i've already asked my parents if they could help, i already have 85$ for it, and they tell me that there is no money for such a thing.

EDIT:: I know what may happen if i try to fight it, i will have my license suspended for atleast a 1yr accroding to ny state law.

·
Premium Member
10,000 Posts
Why not contact the court and see if you can get an extension date to pay the fine or ask if you can do community service in lieu of the fine. You may have to go to the Judge to ask but in either case you don't want to play games here by not paying on time. There's also the chance when you don't pay the fine on time, they may issue a warrant for your arrest and should you get stopped again in the meantime they will take you away on the spot and impound your vehicle which will just add more fines and penalties on top of what you already owe. Also, writing questionable check could be considerd FRAUD, you don't even want to go there -misdemeanor or felony on your record?
Try to get an extended date or borrow the money but get it paid on time and in the future TRY TRY TRY to be more careful driving.

·
6,012 Posts
amw_drizz said:
EDIT:: I know what may happen if i try to fight it, i will have my license suspended for atleast a 1yr accroding to ny state law.
in TX trying to fight it doesn't change anything.... once in court you are either found not guilty.... or you can plead guilty(don't do this).... or plead no contest.... no contest is the same as paying it origionally... you aren't saying you're guilty.. just "no contest"

does NY not have this??

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not to my knowladge.

I'll ask my gov teacher on tues if i cant figure that out by then, as he is a judge of washington county. (not the one that gave me the fine tho) he may know what may be better to do. on how to get an extension to pay the fine or to do community service.

·
Practicing Infidel
15,309 Posts
I don't know the particular laws of your state, neither do most of the rest of the guys.

Phone a paralegal (a free one) or legal aid or one of those lawyers in the yellow pages who offer a free one hour consultation, or one of those traffic offence businesses staffed with ex-cops and consult someone who will know these things, specific to your state.

Missing the date is not an option in any jurisdiction. You could end up bent over a bunk in county jail every weekend for a few months.

Most courts would rather see you in court with honest, credible reasons why you have no money at the moment. They may well accept your $85.00 as partial payment and allow you one or two more payments to make it up, spaced a month or three apart.

Some more advanced justice systems allow you to make several payments, but most still leave that up to the judge.

BTW don't show up in court if you're not a student registered in school somewhere or doing something productive. Otherwise the judge may well stick you in the can in lieu of payment.

Sixlitre

p.s./
You've got 28 days or four weeks, or a calender month before that date. Is there no way for you to earn the remainder by then ?

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
go to youre court date.... in TX if the officer doesn't show up it's dropped

worst that happens is you still have to pay it... but here they let you defer it or make payments if you need to....

if you ignore.... it it will go into warrant staus and next time you are pulled over there is a good chance you will be going to jail
Not the Texas I'm from. If you don't pay within a certain time frame you get a warrant put out for your arrest and you have to pay quite a bit more once they catch you.
I have a feeling I got ripped of $190, here's my story.

Image I drew up 'specially for you guys. You can tell my artistry from this work:

I was leaving home one night from work. I get on the road to go home, and as I'm turning into the perpendicular road a car flies towards the stop sign (had to have been doing 35+40 about 10-20 feet from the sign) and slams on his/her brakes as I pull out (my right-of-way). A few seconds later, I see the lights behind me. I pull over and first he has the balls to tell me I was RACING someone (and everyone here who knows how much of a dog my 83 was, you know. To those of you who don't, my 0-60 was around +/-22 seconds) then tells me I almost hit that car. I was 16 at the time and didn't know what the hell to do so I took the ticket and went home. My dad told me he'd fight it, and on the day of the court date we went up there to find 3 things: first, the cop wasn't there, second, the JUDGE wasn't there (they had a lawyer or someone instead, cause the judge was sick). I wanted a re-scheduling, but they said no-can-do. Well, third thing is, the cop changed the ticket AFTER I left (highly illegal I thought). He put that I was recklessly driving and that I was speeding (he put 45mph on it, I was doing under 30 and couldn't have possibly gone anywhere above 35-40 within that small timeframe that I was on the road before the cop stopped me). I ended up not paying the $200 ticket, but paying $192 for court fees and other various fees....saved me some serious dough...:duh

·
6,012 Posts
Ziggy_Moto said:
Not the Texas I'm from. If you don't pay within a certain time frame you get a warrant put out for your arrest and you have to pay quite a bit more once they catch you.
I have a feeling I got ripped of $190, here's my story.

....and on the day of the court date we went up there to find 3 things: first, the cop wasn't there, second, the JUDGE wasn't there (they had a lawyer or someone instead, cause the judge was sick). I wanted a re-scheduling, but they said no-can-do. Well, third thing is, the cop changed the ticket AFTER I left (highly illegal I thought).
not to hijack the thread.... but these kinds of things shouldn't happen
.... most times i have gone to court i have had to plead no contest in the end and pay my fine... but i have had some dropped... it's worth a try.... but you aren't automatically guilty like what happened to you.... this goes against the purpose of having courts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funds right now are really tight. and i mean there is no room for anything extra like this.

That and both of my parents are being jackasses on the subject, and say it was my own damn fault.

I addmit keeping the speed up at this intersecting prolly wasnt the best idea.

You know how in drivers ed there is a "certian time" of which when the light turns yellow and your outside of the stopping distance off your vehicle just to keep going?

Cause when i went through drivers ed the instructer said, if your outside your stopping distance (IE too close) then to continue either at same speed or reduced speed through the yellow light.

It was that type of time. light turned yellow im guessing i was about 100ft away from it, and just as i drove under it, it turned red. and i know my bronco right now cannot stop in under 100ft from doing 55-60mph.

As is when the cop pulled me over i went through my useall slow down methods not too hard but not to soft, just enough were i come to a complete stop doing 55-60mph in about 200-300ft.

And to top it off it was 9-10pm at night and the cop was prolly looking for racers. as that area at that time of night is a favorite spot for dragers to drag race.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
not to hijack the thread.... but these kinds of things shouldn't happen
.... most times i have gone to court i have had to plead no contest in the end and pay my fine... but i have had some dropped... it's worth a try.... but you aren't automatically guilty like what happened to you.... this goes against the purpose of having courts
I know, but it was 2 years ago and I can't do anything about it now :cry

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
bigbroncojeff said:
Step outta the car sir... Uh Hu...

1 - 20 of 54 Posts