Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

constant vibration

830 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Michigan Maniac 
#1 ·
1992 FSB. I am sure the U-joints are needing changed but am worried it is more. I have a bad vibration while driving at any speed but when I shift to neutral it stops even while coasting. Does this sound like just U-joints or could it be other? Nothing has changed since this has started as I have checked weights on driveshaft, tires balanced, trans shifts fine with no problems. Only other thing is the infamous clunk while shifting to reverse from stop. Hoping this is all to blame on u-joints but if anyone has had this problem and found it to be more I may have to wait to start chasing the problem due to money being short. THanks for any and all responses. If more info needed please advise.

#2 ·
Is the vibe there when in neutral, and revs are up? Say around 2500 rpm's....
If so then you may be needing a tune up= plugs,wires,cap and rotor. the vibe may be just a cyl. not hitting like it should...

#3 ·
When I put in neutral while driving the vibration does stop even if I rev the engine a bit. For sure not from the engine. If I am correct the drive shaft does still spin even in neutral but with no load. Which is why I first thought U-joints. Before the vibration started I was getting some squeaking from somewhere and also the big clunk shifting into reverse from park. Mainly I need to know if (and I know eventually it will) it will break anything if I drive it for a day or 2 before weather breaks and I can get under there to change them. It has a 4" suspension lift so they may be under stress with that in mind as well. I am just hoping as they would be the cheapest and easiest. Thanks for the help!

#4 ·
the best thing to do would be to park it in neutral and crawl under it check em. shake the drive shaft, and pending how much play there is will tell allot.

If nothing else take it easy on it, the last thing you want is for the drive shaft to go flying out from under the truck. Or worse yet beat the hell out of it from underneath.

#5 ·
Cool, I will do. I will also leave a reply on what I find to be the problem. I hate paying tow truck drivers. You are also correct about tearing up the bottom and or a new driveshaft. We just sold our cherokee and recently totaled our liberty so at the moment I am down to the bronco which is supposed to be in the garage being built for the dunes. Irony is grand :)

#8 ·
If nothing else take it easy on it, the last thing you want is for the drive shaft to go flying out from under the truck. Or worse yet beat the hell out of it from underneath.
The shaft could destroy itself and/or tear holes in fuel tanks and just beat the crap out of everything. I had this happen and knew it was probably the shaft or something drive line related that was making the vibration. I thought it could wait , but , it couldnt. Mine was actually a broken pinion yoke. However, it had the same effect b/c it just Let go of the back of the rear shaft while I was going down the hwy about 70.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.