Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced my 4x4 auto transfer case with a manual shift. Everything works fine, but the transmission will not shift gears in 4 LO. Does anyone know why this would happen? Is it a computer issue with going from the auto 4x4 to manual shift?

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
Yo Thomas,
As Shadodax did in his similar swap,"...Interior shot of 4x4 and low range dash lights lit (as are the electric button lights). If you want your lights to work, Ford Part # F6TZ-14K067-AA is the short wiring assembly that goes from the manual tcase switch located on the front of the case just below the breather, over to the harness just above the E4OD tranny (it’s a bit spendy at the dealer, $34). There is a plug there with a cap, and this harness is plug and play. Eventually I will remove the pushbutton switches in the dash and put a blank black insert there ( about the same time I am going in to remove the ABS light which still is glowing on mine, can’t be seen in the pic since the auto shifter is in the way)..."

·
Super Moderator
4,694 Posts
Hi Thomas,
Have you checked the linkage underneath?
It's possible that you have the wrong length rod that connects the shifter to the transfer case.
When I converted my AOD auto to a ZF5 manual, it moved the transfer case further away, and required a different length rod. If I used the stock length rod, I could only get it into 2H 4H and N, but not 4L.

You can also check this by crawling underneath, disconnecting the linkage, and shifting the transfer case by grabbing the selector with a pair of pliers or a wrench and rotating it. If you can't get it into all 4 selections, then something is wrong with the transfer case.

The computer has no bearing on anything when you're dealing with manual stuff. It's all physical linkages, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Yo Thomas,
As Shadodax did in his similar swap,"...Interior shot of 4x4 and low range dash lights lit (as are the electric button lights). If you want your lights to work, Ford Part # F6TZ-14K067-AA is the short wiring assembly that goes from the manual tcase switch located on the front of the case just below the breather, over to the harness just above the E4OD tranny (it’s a bit spendy at the dealer, $34). There is a plug there with a cap, and this harness is plug and play. Eventually I will remove the pushbutton switches in the dash and put a blank black insert there ( about the same time I am going in to remove the ABS light which still is glowing on mine, can’t be seen in the pic since the auto shifter is in the way)..."
View attachment 159482
I may be lost here, but Maybe I need to reiterate that when in 4 LO, the transmission will not shift out of first gear. The transfer case goes into all selections fine, but again, when in 4 LO, it will not shift into second gear. Are you saying the wire harness will address this issue?

·
Super Moderator
24,658 Posts
I may be lost here, but Maybe I need to reiterate that when in 4 LO, the transmission will not shift out of first gear. The transfer case goes into all selections fine, but again, when in 4 LO, it will not shift into second gear. Are you saying the wire harness will address this issue?
Yo,
No, sorry I mis-read the issue too!
The harness will not help the E4OD shift to 2nd.

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

DTC 617 - 1-2 shift error. "...IF this code persists and you have noticed shift problems while driving, its going to be a shift servo inside the E4OD tha has failed. (Computer needs to control when the tranny is shifting)..."
Source: by greystreak92

Following by Ford;
"
Shift Concerns: No 1-2 Shift (Automatic)
Possible Component​
Reference/Action​
220 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
  • Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2
  • Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Test A using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.
  • miesk5 note, this is self test for codes or with scanner
320 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable
  • Damage, misadjusted
  • Transmission Range (TR) (aka MLPS) sensor damaged, misadjusted
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.
  • See MLPS TEST BELOW
Main Controls
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gaskets damaged, misaligned
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Shift solenoid 2 malfunction
  • Refer to Electrical Routine No. 220.
  • D2 valve, 1-2 shift valve, 1-2 manual transition valve, intermediate clutch accumulator regulator valves, springs — stuck, damaged, missing or misassembled
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required.
  • Air bleed for shift solenoid 2 circuit damaged or missing
  • Inspect for damage. Replace case.
  • Wrong parts used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper parts were used.
Intermediate Clutch Assembly
  • Assembly
  • Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.
  • Seals or piston damaged
  • Friction elements worn, missing, damaged, misassembled
  • Ball check stuck/missing
  • Feedbolt torque incorrect, leaks, missing
  • Inspect and retighten bolts as required.
  • Cylinder assembly outer diameter/case bore damaged, leaking
Intermediate One-Way Clutch Assembly
  • Cage/sprags damaged, improperly assembled on inner race
  • Improper components used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper components are used"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yo,
No, sorry I mis-read the issue too!
The harness will not help the E4OD shift to 2nd.

Try a Self Test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes by my pal, BroncoJoe19 @ Code Reader.....

DTC 617 - 1-2 shift error. "...IF this code persists and you have noticed shift problems while driving, its going to be a shift servo inside the E4OD tha has failed. (Computer needs to control when the tranny is shifting)..."
Source: by greystreak92

Following by Ford;
"
Shift Concerns: No 1-2 Shift (Automatic)
Possible Component​
Reference/Action​
220 — ELECTRICAL ROUTINE
Powertrain Control System
  • Electrical inputs/outputs, vehicle wiring harnesses, powertrain control module, throttle position sensor, vehicle speed sensor, shift solenoid 1, shift solenoid 2
  • Run On-Board Diagnostics. Refer to Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis Manual for diagnosis. Perform Service Manual Pinpoint Test A using Rotunda Transmission Tester 007-00085 and Cable and Overlay 007-00107 or equivalents as outlined in this section. Service as required. Clear codes, road test and rerun On-Board Diagnostics.
  • miesk5 note, this is self test for codes or with scanner
320 — HYDRAULIC/MECHANICAL ROUTINE
Shift Linkage (Internal/External) or Cable
  • Damage, misadjusted
  • Transmission Range (TR) (aka MLPS) sensor damaged, misadjusted
  • Inspect for damage. Service as required. Verify linkage adjustment as outlined. After servicing linkage, verify that the transmission range (TR) sensor is properly adjusted. Refer to In-Vehicle Service in this section.
  • See MLPS TEST BELOW
Main Controls
  • Bolts not tightened to specification
  • Retighten bolts to specification.
  • Gaskets damaged, misaligned
  • Inspect for damage and replace.
  • Shift solenoid 2 malfunction
  • Refer to Electrical Routine No. 220.
  • D2 valve, 1-2 shift valve, 1-2 manual transition valve, intermediate clutch accumulator regulator valves, springs — stuck, damaged, missing or misassembled
  • Air bleed for shift solenoid 2 circuit damaged or missing
  • Inspect for damage. Replace case.
  • Wrong parts used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper parts were used.
Intermediate Clutch Assembly
  • Assembly
  • Air check clutch assembly as outlined in this section.
  • Seals or piston damaged
  • Friction elements worn, missing, damaged, misassembled
  • Ball check stuck/missing
  • Feedbolt torque incorrect, leaks, missing
  • Inspect and retighten bolts as required.
  • Cylinder assembly outer diameter/case bore damaged, leaking
Intermediate One-Way Clutch Assembly
  • Cage/sprags damaged, improperly assembled on inner race
  • Improper components used in rebuild
  • Verify that proper components are used"

View attachment 159518
FYI... good news. I got the part number you mentioned above.. connected it up and not only do my 4x4 indicator lights work now, but it also shifts now in 4LO. I'm thinking the computer somehow needs to know when in 4LO to let the tranny know to shift differently then when in 4HI/2HI.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts