Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope I don't get too flamed for this but here it goes. I own a 1971 K5 that i'm building up as well as my Ford. I'm putting a 9 inch in the rear and really didn't want to have to order new custom 6 lug rear shafts and then deal with custom drilled drums or going disc I thought i'd just convert the front to 5 lug. I've rebuilt both axles completely, 6 lug chevy and 5 lug ford but it was a while ago and done seperately so I was able to compare parts. Will it all just bolt on. I'm assuming yes but didn't know if anyone had experience with this.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
I cant give you a definite answer, but there is the possiblity at least, considering one could use chevy 8-lug outers on the 44. Try it.

·
Premium Member
23,551 Posts
you can take old school solid axle dana 44 parts and swap knuckles out on just about every one with out issues. Ford to GM to dodge to IH to jeep and any mix back and forth. you just need to have knuckles out for the most part. I will not get into the other parts unless you want better brakes, like keeping your GM knuckles and using ford hubs and rotors.

Also GM 10 bolts use the same outters as the dana 44's

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Take everything from the ball joints out on the ford axle and put it on the chevy. Thats including the other axle shaft.
You may have to do a custom brake line if the ford caliper uses a different size banjo then the chevy does, but other then that it will work just fine.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Take everything from the ball joints out on the ford axle and put it on the chevy. Thats including the other axle shaft.
You may have to do a custom brake line if the ford caliper uses a different size banjo then the chevy does, but other then that it will work just fine.
Perfect, thank you.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Oh and about the ball joints, All Dana 44 axles between the different makes use the same part number, so don't worry about if you have to use the Ford ones or the GM ones because they are the same. Same thing with the axle U-joint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.