Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 90 4x4 Bronco with the original 302 in it. Since buying I have replaced the tires which was a must but in doing so i have noticed that since i went to a bigger size tire the engine lags. I have been looking for a 351 to replace the stock 302 and in doing so i have found a 351w for an unbeatable price. Problem is that the 351 is carbed. Given that my bronco is fuel injected what are my options here? Would it easier to convert the engine to efi or my bronco to carbed. Pretty novice here so any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
It's alright, we were all new at one point... On top of your screen there is a button that says "Search". Click it, and type 302 to 351 in there, and you'll find more info then you probably need.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
if you already have fuel injection, its not that hard to make it work with a 351. It should actually be a straight forward swap. Go to fordfuelinjection.com and start reading. Theres a lot of great info there.

EFI is gonna get you better gas mileage and off raod performance over a carb.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
how much bigger are the new tires? from what i have been reading on here and from talking to a couple of shops regearing is the best thing to do when going to bigger tires to make up for the lag. the 351 is probobly a good thing too but might still want to look into different gears

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
Ok, I've got the vaseline cause I'm gonna get raped here I think...

Why couldn't one use hte top end of a 302 on a 351W? Swap over your 302 EFI stuff onto the 351W Carbed and have it run. Firing order difference aside (that 302 shouldn't have the 302HO/351W firing order yet, right?), anything else?

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
302 intakes are different from 351w's. Something like a different deck hieght i think. I just know it doesn't work. Headers are different too. The bolt holes in the 302 heads are smaller than the 351w's. But they can be easily drilled out

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Yup 351 has a higher deck height so the engine is wider at the top. Since it's wider the 302 intake won't fit on a 351.

·
Sway's jealous of my
2,856 Posts
I thought it had something to do with the taller deck height of hte 351W, but for some reason I was like "same heads....wtf?".

Alright.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to 33" tires. only because i found a good deal on them. the main reason i want to go to the 351 is because ive got a friend who just wants to get rid of it and only wants $50. He said it burns a little oil but i figured a rebuild would fix that and any other unknown probs.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
I'd hope a rebuild would fix it.

There are carb to efi threads on here, just gotta use the right keywords. ECU's would be different too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts