Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the other threads of converting and still have an issue. driver side went on fine. Passenger went on fine until it came to the snap ring. I have used a pry bar had someone else help. Its about a 1/16 from snapping into place but cant seem to get that extra. I am at a loss. My next idea was to jack it up maybe there is some stress somewhere..take the tire off...I have tried beating on it and that did not seem to work. So open to anything. 1988 Ford no conversion needed. automatic 5 bolt converting to manual.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have read the other threads of converting and still have an issue. driver side went on fine. Passenger went on fine until it came to the snap ring. I have used a pry bar had someone else help. Its about a 1/16 from snapping into place but cant seem to get that extra. I am at a loss. My next idea was to jack it up maybe there is some stress somewhere..take the tire off...I have tried beating on it and that did not seem to work. So open to anything. 1988 Ford no conversion needed. automatic 5 bolt converting to manual.

I'm no expert but when I replaced mine recently there is a washer inside that have holes that one of then should mate up with a pin on the inner-most washer. Try that to see if it isnt lined up. The other thing that game me issues was that there is a little slop in the small universal joint behind the brake dust shield, I put a large screwdriver in there so the (driveshaft) wouldnt push in when I tried to get that snap ring on... unless you are talking about the outter one, the one the size of a coke can..... then I would go back to what I said first. I hope this helps. Experts may chime in to correct me but that is all I got.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,057 Posts
If your talking about the snap ring that goes on the end of the axle shaft, don't worry about it. It doesn't need to go on, not a big deal. Many on here have just omited that ring. Now the big ring holds the hub in place, that must go in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes talking about the snap ring..tried to do without but when i tried and put the cap on there was that much of a gap so the cap did not seal tight against the axle housing. Still looking....

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
IIRC you have to put a pry bar behind the wheel and pry hub outward. Can't remember the details but do a search.

·
Registered
72 Posts
had similar problem when i did my hubs this weekend. i used the tire iron as a pry bar. placed it on the axle shaft u joint and applied lateral pressure sliding it outwards. then make sure to push the hub in, when you slide the the axle outwards it will push out the hub a bit also. if this doesnt work check the lock washer between the two locknuts is seated properly. also make sure the whole hub, brake rotor assembly is seated properly. good luck

·
Registered
113 Posts
/\ Bingo. I did the same thing this weekend changing my rotors out. I just used a large flat head and slipped it in the u joint and pryed it forward. It moved forward very easy.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Yes talking about the snap ring..tried to do without but when i tried and put the cap on there was that much of a gap so the cap did not seal tight against the axle housing. Still looking....
If you pryed at the ujoint a little and the shaft moved out, then that's not the issue. By your mentioning the cap is not fully seated in the hub, that makes me think the inner hub locking mechanism is not all the way in, perhaps because you didn't get that washer with the holes lined up with the keyway and the pin on the inner lock nut. You don't have any other washers or anything left in there, correct? It's just the 2 lock nuts and that holed washer?

Just pull the hub locking body back out and recheck these things. Doesn't hurt, because if you didn't get that pin in one of the holes, the outer lock nut is not going to seat properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So new update..i finally got the snap ring to fit into place. Still problem that the cap does not sit flush as the driver side it. Not sure what the problem is. I have not been able to test to see if the hubs work properly. If the hubs are working properly but the cap does not sit flush are there any issues i will run into? Only thing i can think of is water mud and/or trash getting into the inter working of the hub. Any other ideas solutions or thoughts?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
with the manual dial cap fitment:

Is it just hard to press in?
Do you have some antiseize/lube or a little grease on around the cap fitment area so it slides in easier?
Is the rubber o ring in good shape and seating in it's groove? maybe there is old mud or something stuck in the groove forcing the o ring out further than it should
Same thing with the hub, clean with a light coat of antiseize/lube.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cap is on as tight as i can get it. It will go no any further in. I am saying a gap but its about a 1/4 maybe 1/16. Just a concern because the driver side fit just fine and all the parts seem to fit with no problem.. Also the driver side had 2 snap rings then the washer the passenger side has the half metal ring then the washer no snap rings. I am not sure why the difference?? The O ring it inside the hub so its protected. Anything else about anything?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Did u use too much grease?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did not have to add any grease. There was plenty there also it was the same amount as the other side and it went in fine.

I am also thinking about adding a suspension lift not sure how much. I have seen good deals on 2.5in and 4 in for good deals. Is there any reason to get such a small lift such as a 2.5in? I had planned on getting a body lift with either kit. I do not plan on doing to much wheeling. Weekend driving and some mud holes.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I did not have to add any grease. There was plenty there also it was the same amount as the other side and it went in fine.

I am also thinking about adding a suspension lift not sure how much. I have seen good deals on 2.5in and 4 in for good deals. Is there any reason to get such a small lift such as a 2.5in? I had planned on getting a body lift with either kit. I do not plan on doing to much wheeling. Weekend driving and some mud holes.
Body lifts have been debated on here time and time again and the topic will never die, people will give you an opinion based on their experiences. Mine is that they are crap based on the fact I've seen what happens when the bolts shear off and the pucks spit out but that's just my experience.

As far as having a "Reason" for a small lift it's basically just based on what you do and what size tires you want to run. I built my Bronco for all-around versatility since I live in SoCal and I'm in the middle of the mountains and desert and can find Trails, Rocks, Snow, Mud, and Sand and can find all within an hours drive. For me the TTB works fine and 4 inches of lift allow me to clear most rocks on trails in the local mountains and rutted roads on local trail rides and the extended Radius arms help in every enviroment and especially with Travel for Desert fun as well as my Reservoir shocks. That and I find a 35 to be a good all around tire size that is still streetable since my truck is my daily driver.

So think about what you want and make a plan of attack.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,057 Posts
Did you pull the washer out that's in front of the spindal nuts when you converted from auto's? There's a c clip in front of it. I bet this is the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I pulled all the c clip out. Driver side 2 snap rings and washer, passenger side c clip and washer..Going back to the suspension lift. How long would it take 2 guys in a driveway to put a 4 in suspension lift on. Also what extras do i need to buy that will surprise me that is not included in an average 4in kit?? Also any good detailed pictures or links of where i can see the whole process?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts