Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how's this for an embarassing first post

just finished swapping in a 5.8, turned it over a few times by hand after priming...but it wouldn't crank over with the starter....so i pulled it out again....drained coolant and no problem...thani drain engine oil and white crud and water came out...as well as motor oil...i have yet to pull the heads off to further inspect

any clues where it could be mixing? not sure how i could've blown a head gasket (which is what my friends are telling me) if the enfine never turned over

thanks

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
It could be coming from the intake manifold gasket, an improper seal is allowing the coolant to fall into the lifter valley.

Were the heads magnafluxed? One of the heads could be cracked.

·
But what does mine say?
954 Posts
I'm with yak on this one, cause it has happened to me. When the motor heats up, the soft metal in the intake settles, and the bolts need to be re-tightened. A good way to tell if it's the head gasket or the intake is to do a compression check.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerry 1 a b said:
When the motor heats up, the soft metal in the intake settles, and the bolts need to be re-tightened.
this is what i was thinking too but the engine never heated up cause it never ran....looks like i plenty to check and re-torque

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
stangmata50l said:
You could have installed the head gasket improperly. :shrug

It's got to be a gasket somewhere at least.
:stupid Should be an easy fix at least..ya just gotta find it...:shrug

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Were all the passages closed? Not all engines have both the front and back passages open. Depends on years and models.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry...not sure what you mean by front and back passages

please elaborate

·
Registered
9 Posts
The heads may or may not have water passages on both the front and rear of the heads, Just because they have both don't allways mean that both the front and back should be open for water to flow. the gaskets may have one of the passages block for that year or model of motor. I'm not trying to say that is or isn't your problem. just my $ .02

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OOOOOOOOOO

thanks for the explanation. is there a site or some other reference i can turn to to find this info just by using something like the casting number of the block? i have no idea what car it came out of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts