Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
I've got a bit of a puzzling problem i was hoping you could help me solve. I own a 1995 bronco with a 5.0. I just recently completed my motor swap into a fresh 5.0. along with a new water pump and radiator. The donor motor is a 5.0. H.0. out of a 1988 Lincoln. My question is why is my cooling system pushing coolant over the top of the overflow tank? The coolant in the tank is ice cold and the upper radiator hose is luke warm and the lower is cooler than that. The thermostat is new too. Also when i'm idling or step on the gas I get a gurgling noise coming from the passenger compartment. I think it is the heater core. A theory I had was that there is air trapped in the system that needs to be bled out. Would a coolant system flush help. I'm sure that would clean out the red residue in my overflow tank. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys. Ths truck is my daily driver. I know about the reverse flow water pump issue and my truck has the correct flow for my stock system.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It could be a number of things.

First did you burp or bleed the system properly. I usually leave the cap off start the engine with the heater on full blast and let it idle. Keep filling the radiator as it takes coolant allow the thermostat to open 2 or 3 times you can tell by the temp of the upper hose or the warm air from the fan. Then put the cap on and make sure you have coolant in the overflow tank.

If you did that properly you could check the radiator cap it could be bad and not holding pressure.

If all those things check out properly it could be a head gasket problem.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
My 5.0 did close to the same thing, if I put coolent in the overflow tank, it would overflow out of the tank. As long as I don't put any coolent in the overflow tank it is fine, no overflowing. I've got no idea why it is like this, but it has done it since new :shrug . You could try keeping coolent out of the tank and see if you still have the problem. That's what I did and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
A small piece of aluminum foil can be used under the overflow cap to stop small amounts of coolant from comming out, if there is no major problem. My 95 with a 5.8 tends to leak a bit from the over flow cap while everything is in good order and all fluid levels are to spec. I believe its from rough terrain and lots of bumps causing the fuild to splash around. But thats only my 0.02$.
Jay

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Last time I saw that happen my roomate spent the next 2 nights changing his headgaskets:thumbup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts