Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - sorry to post in emergency if some of you deem it "non-emerg" but my Bronco is at the mechanics and before I authorize anything I want to make sure I'm not getting shafted.

My car has basically been leaking coolant for a looong time. My heater has been out for a year and my temp guage is always off. Eh, what the heck I finally took the truck in.

Guy says "coolant is leaking from two places: water pump and thermostat housing. will be $350."

Is this legit? Does it sound legit? :twak

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - it blows because I'm getting shafted or it blows just because it sucks to lose $350?

Seriously if you guys have an answer then let me know because I at the least will not return to this shop in the future.

Clarko said:
It's definately possible. Price blows though

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
water pump are about $30 therm state and gasket $8 and 15 min to install thermstae and new gasket and 2-4 house waterpump so the cost of $40 you save $310 thats the issue. i just replaced the whole motor for a friend for a Pizza....boy am i cheap....lol

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,920 Posts
It just seems really high to me. He'll be replacing two maybe three gaskets at the most and replacing your coolant.
There are two bolts that hold the t-stat housing on.
There are about 10 that hold the water pump on but you have to remove the serpentine brackets first. It would only take me about two hours to do it but I'm pretty handy.
Hell, you could evev get a bitchin Edelbrock hi-flow water pump like me and end up saving money over him still.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Jerkey said:
Guy says "coolant is leaking from two places: water pump and thermostat housing. will be $350."
Water pump and gasket = about $50, or water pump gasket only = $2
Thermostat gasket = $2

The rest is labour.

The price is reasonable if you like taking your vehicle to a shop. It is not reasonable it you prefer to do it yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn me - well, unfortunately I have no mechanic skills. Would be nice though - and I have no friends who enjoy the works, so maybe I am destined to paying shop prices forever.

How screwed would I be if I actually tried to do the work myself? Ok I guess now i'll go look for a good price on tires.

Thanks everyone.

·
Bronkin' 'Round!
88 351/AOD/4” ProComp 94 351/E4OD/4” Superlift
2,920 Posts
Go into the west coast chapter forum and see if there's anyone near you. I'm down by LA so I'm too far south to help ya but I know there are some guys up your way.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
Jerkey said:
Damn me - well, unfortunately I have no mechanic skills. Would be nice though - and I have no friends who enjoy the works, so maybe I am destined to paying shop prices forever.

How screwed would I be if I actually tried to do the work myself? Ok I guess now i'll go look for a good price on tires.

Thanks everyone.

i didnt either when i did mine. that was the first thing i ever did to the bronco and an engine period. and in a year i have replaced the motor.

i dont think you will be screwed at all. if you run into hiccups search on here. if you cant find it pm me and i will tell you i have done it for a couple people on here.

·
Back in TEXAS
1,966 Posts
Buy a Haynes or a Chiltons, search on here, take your time, and you won't be screwed. Water pump is a pretty straightforward swap and the thermostat/housing is downright simple.

·
crank trigger
8,151 Posts
i agree with the other guys here, you can do this job...maybe. do you have tools? do you have a spot to do your repair? can you capture the coolant when it comes out? do you want to do it? you are mostly paying the shop for labor.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
You need to figure out what is leaking.

1. Is the water pump leaking from the weap-hole (small hole in pump) or is the gasket leaking?

2. Is the water outlet leaking from the gasket or is there a crack in it.

3. Neither will affect the heater unleas you have let the coolant level in the radiator drop really, really low.

Once you know what is wrong a Hayns manual will have step by step instructions on how to replace the parts and gaskets.

·
"Clever User Title Here"
2,155 Posts
87EBBronco said:
Buy a Haynes or a Chiltons, search on here, take your time, and you won't be screwed. Water pump is a pretty straightforward swap and the thermostat/housing is downright simple.
Buy a Haynes and go step by step.

Gotta learn to wrench sometime. It will save you thousands of dollars over a lifetime (and make you feel more manly) if you can do alot yerself.

You shouldn't get into any trouble with a water pump/thermostat swap. Do the T-stat first, and if that's too scary, take it in.

Good luck!:thumbup

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
thed tstat housing would be easier without the damn water pump in the way.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i almost made a wrench just for that freakin thing. i got big hands too and it is a pain in the ass.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,674 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
thed tstat housing would be easier without the damn water pump in the way.
Wouldn't the backside of the timing cover still be in the way?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts