Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone give me some help identifying the source? Only starts when its up to temp and thermostat opens, i attached a video to show the speed of the drip as well as the pain of being dripped on.....
drip video

Attachments

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
Could be freeze plug or maybe even one of your heater hoses, check where they go through the fire wall. I had a nagging drip one time and it was a loose hose clamp. That would be the ideal situation. Best way to tell if its the plug is to get some degreasear and clean the area really good, let it dry, then run it to make sure.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Or possibly a pressure test would reveal it
Looks like a bicycle pump and you attach to the rad cap
Obviously you'd want to be inside a dead quiet garage with door closed
You probably might hear a hissing noice where its coming from

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, assuming it's the freeze plug, is there an easy first thing to try? never really wanted to pour a liquid sealer in the engine but i guess it comes down to others experience. I'll try and clean the area today and recheck, probably get a pressure cap as well...sounds handy.
Still searching hoses for leaks....

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
If it's the freeze plug, they'r pretty easy to replace as long as your can get access to it..definitely don't put any sealer in the engine..

Reactions: desertdog

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it's the freeze plug, they'r pretty easy to replace as long as your can get access to it..definitely don't put any sealer in the engine..
Yep, it's the freeze plug! cleaned it up and within minutes a drip started forming at the bottom of it. So i guess you know my next question...how to get that thing out of there? I actually have really good access, looking around it's the best access plug there is so i'm not too worried quite yet.

Thanks for all the help, i have used this forum for almost 10 years now and love it.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,658 Posts
Good stuff. Just to be sure... you should drain all the coolant from your engine first. Never know who might be reading this now or in the future. ;)
Not sure how cold it gets in Utah but with good access, an electric freeze plug heater can sure be handy up here in the PNW.

·
Registered
1986 Eddie Bauer 5.0EFI AOD Full length headers Y pipe into single 3" Magnaflow 3" factory exit
207 Posts
It's more fun to hear about the big surprise they got when they pop the freeze plug out without draining the block first.

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help, I'll get it done!

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So i made that plug my bitch today!

Drained the rest of the coolant out.

It popped inward no matter how hard i tried to just flip it...

Yanked it out with some pliers, you can see where it rusted through

cleaned this up real good

Got socket to set new plug, had neoprene expanding nut as backup...per sixlitre
Or you can beat it out

right in place and stuff one of these in temporarily;

I had one behind the head of a smallblock Dodge for nine? years, never leaked again.

Sixlitre

All done, hopefully it doesn't leak

·
Registered
1989 ford bronco xlt
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you put any gasket maker on the plug before installing it?
Yes, I used the new thermostat housing formula.

Reactions: NYFSB
1 - 15 of 15 Posts