Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the truck working on her this weekend, and noticed a little green fluid accumulating underneath. On further investigation, it looked to be dripping from the back side of the oil pan and front of the trans bellhousing.

I have been noticing my coolant resevoir running dry often.

Any ideas what the culprit is here or where to start fixing the issue?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Look a little higher for the origin of the leak, such as the rear of the lower intake manifold. It'd help a LOT if you'd fill in your Bronco Info.

·
Registered
453 Posts
my top radiator hose was leaking from the bottom and it was a small hole. it would leak down on the cross member. id check all of the hoses just to be safe.

·
Super Moderator
26,706 Posts
try some baby powder to help find the trial/origin... fan may blow it around, but it may hold long enuf to show the source.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I started tracing my way up, and for the life of me could not find the source above the drips. So I started following coolant lines from the front and noticed some green just below the water pump where the hoses come in/out. Looks like these hoses/connections are leaking and that fluid is flowing back across the top of the oil pan lip and showing up where the pan hits the transmission.

Looks like my next step will be new hoses. see how she goes.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I bet there is another problem. Usually the hoses do not just leak. They burst. If there is a leak, check JUST a bit higher and see if it is leaking out of the hole on the water pump snout. Just a hint.

Chris

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am curious... how would one use baby powder to locate the source of the leak?
joe
If your engine is dry and free of grease/oil/dirt, BP is dusted onto the idling engine where it sticks to the wet areas. This allows you to ID leak sources. However it's always better and usually quicker to trace leaks by visual inspection. Just another reason why I power wash the engine bay 3-4 times a year.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I bet there is another problem. Usually the hoses do not just leak. They burst. If there is a leak, check JUST a bit higher and see if it is leaking out of the hole on the water pump snout. Just a hint.

Chris
I've had to retighten hose clamps before to fix a leak, problem solved.
I am curious... how would one use baby powder to locate the source of the leak?
joe
It will show you the path the coolant took to get where it got, get it?

·
Super Moderator
26,706 Posts
thnx dan & waltman for replying while I was away. Also BP is good to find those plastic end capped radiators that leak during cool-down, usually overnight. That was a bear to find when it was 10 deg F here a few years ago,

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is pretty interesting to me as well, I've had a very slow leak for a little while coming from the back of the oil pan/bellhousing area and I'm pretty sure it's just oil, yet my oil always stays at good levels, i'll have to investigate more and check all my hoses and what not, i don't think it's coolant though, i'd imagine that'd be obvious

1 - 14 of 14 Posts