Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about adding a coolant filter the bronco since everything , but , the HC is new. There is a pipe plug in the top of my thermostat housing that looks like 3/8". I was going to tap into it and possibly into the line going from the fill cap to the degas bottle. Would this work? The overflow tank on my cooling system doesnt have a radiator cap style lid on it. So would it just pump coolant into the bottle until overflows or would it cycle back into the radiator?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
Running a hose from the thermostat housing into the overflow container would just pump out all the coolant into the overflow, and then onto the ground.
Your bet bet (I believe) would be to install a real coolant filter. Something like this unit:

http://autocoolantfilter.com/

Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
9,989 Posts
Mikey350: Wow I forgot about the Gano filter, I had one in my 1966 GT350 Shelby Mustang, Wimbledon White, Guardsman Blue Lemans racing stripes don't you know many years ago and it worked like a charm....good call.

Sometimes that screw/bolt in the T-stat housing can be for an ECT = engine cooling temp sensor though I think your 87 cooling system is similar to mine, ECT is located in an "octagonal tee" that threads into the lower intake manifold towards the front between the FI plenum and distributor area, has a lower throttle body cooling tube "hose" going to the tee and the inline heater hose on a longer pipe which goes under the FI plenum threading into the tee from the side, a very weird set up.

Some Broncos have the upper throttle body cooling tube "hose" going over to and running along the top of the radiator going to the lower outlet tube below the over flow outlet tube.

Anyway, for what it's worth!

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
616 Posts
Running a hose from the thermostat housing into the overflow container would just pump out all the coolant into the overflow, and then onto the ground.
Your bet bet (I believe) would be to install a real coolant filter. Something like this unit:

http://autocoolantfilter.com/

Hope that helps
Thats a neat looking gadget, I would only like the clear one. I wonder how much they cost, since they dont list the price?

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts