Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the run down. I bought a 91 bronco xlt with the 5.8. It had been sitting for almost 4 years. The previous owner broke one of the bolts off for the thermostat housing inside the lower intake manifold. The owner didn't know what he was doing and destroyed the manifold when trying to drill out the bolt. After that he parked it in barn yard for 4 years until I found it. I put a new lower intake manifold (got it off a 351 lightning) on it and got it running enough to get it on the trailer. However I did spend some time trying to drive it around the barn yard. While doing so, I found that it was burning coolant bad. It was beyond just the white smoke it was the white milky stuff coming out of my exhaust, also it would stall out and die if it went past idle speed. So I assumed that I must have messed something up when I replaced the lower manifold. I took everything apart to do the procedure again. I expected to see something wrong, but everything was perfect the gaskets had nice even compression marks on them. I started examining everything and I found traces of coolant all the way in the upper plenum from the number 7 cylinder. I went ahead and took the head off and again everything looked normal. I'm kinda lost on what to do next. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
642 Posts
What did you use in terms of a lower intake gasket?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Where did the lower intake from the lightning come from?

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
An 89 f150 I believe
Hopefully that was taken out of a 93+ lightning since they didnt make them in 89.

You going to have to check everything now. Thats a big water leak. I doubt your in for a quick or easy fix. Might be better off with a long block.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry the lower intake manifold was off an 89 bronco, I compared it several times with the original and they seem identical

·
Registered
642 Posts
The intake can also be cracked. Might wanna check that out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Already inspected the head gasket, looks great. So my only theory still stands, which is the possibility of a cracked coolant passage within the head? Would you agree with that?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Already inspected the head gasket, looks great. So my only theory still stands, which is the possibility of a cracked coolant passage within the head? Would you agree with that?
Yeah. Mine got a cracked head from the guy before me overheated it. The shop that did the headgaskets even overlooked that. You could take it off and get it mahnafluxed and that'll let you know.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yeah I already have it off, I might try to pressure test it
Pressure testing will shine some light on a crack but those leaks can be sneaky. If it were me I'd get it pressure tested and if that found the leak. Great. If it didn't come up with anything inspect the #7 cylinder very carefully and if nothing noticable shows. Magnaflux time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sounds good, I can get a set of reman heads for $180. How does that compare to what it'll cost me to get the head tested?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Sounds good, I can get a set of reman heads for $180. How does that compare to what it'll cost me to get the head tested?
Anywhere from $10-40. Also the valves should be removed for the most accurate reading. Me? I'd put a set of those remanufactured heads on while I have it apart.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts