Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 89 302 has a coolant leak from behind the water neck. My friend told me that it might be a gasket leaking. I checked the Tstat housing/waterneck and the leak is not coming from there. If you look behind the top of the waterneck on the left side (looking from engine compartment towards rear) the leak comes from the engine block. Any guesses where this leak is coming from?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you checked the the T where the heater hose, ECT sensor connect? Right above and behind to the left of the thermostat housing? How big a leak are we talking about?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's actually below the heater hose and slightly further back and coming from the engine block. I managed to get a good pic w phone but not sure how to attach pics. When taking the pics it looks like the part of the block that connects to the waterneck/tstat housing has what looks like a very small crack or what I have recently found is that its where the top section of motor section connects, sorry for lack of terminology!. It leaks about a quart a week. My guess is it's coming from the block or head cooling section of the motor.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the leak looks to be coming from the seam on the block about an inch below the valve cover gasket. I'm going to look for exploded view of engine block components to confirm.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
sounds like the head gasket.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Engine block, heads and intake all have gaskets.

You need to run a compression check to confirm engine condition. This will help determine if you just replace the head gasket or need to rebuid the block.

·
Premium Member
9,999 Posts
Put a radiator pressure guage on the radiator neck, about 12bs max and it should show up immediately........then go from there.

The T in the lower intake manifold for the ECT is a "hex riser", also check the cooling tubes for the throttle body, the one that goes to the "hex riser", after time these tubes become soft from rust, curved bypass hose on the water pump and both inline and return lines from the heater core to the intake and water pump....

Freeze plugs can be a PITA but Napa has expandable rubber freeze plugs and not too difficult to install, some here say they can last for years, your call.

Hopefully it's not a head gasket, the tell tale sign is with the radiator cap off start the engine and if the coolant "races" immediately or shortly after then it's probably the head gasket.....you would have had this indication on your temp gauge with the needle spiking high.....right?

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
796 Posts
It sounds sounds like the OP may be referring to all parts of the engine as the "block". I would say it might be the intake gasket but a pressure tester loaned from the local auto parts store should remove any doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts