Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At some major falt of my own I ran my Windsor out of coolant and it got hot, after I added water to it I found a leak in a strange place. It seems to be coming from between the right cylinder head and the intake manifold. My question is, is it possible I blew a intake manifold gasket instead of a head gasket or cracked head.:usa

·
Banned
9,179 Posts
It's probable that the intake gasket failed, dumping most of the coolant slowly. When the engine got hot, the remaining coolant boiled (because the pressure was too low), blowing out even more of the failed gasket.

But guessing is pointless. Eventually, you have to (or you have to pay someone to) pull the intake & look.

·
Super Moderator
26,007 Posts
YO,
Try a Vacuum Test by Ford

excerpts: "...13.INTAKE LEAK: A low, steady reading can be caused by an intake manifold or throttle body gasket (TB gasket) (9E936) leak..."
Remove all gasket material from the machined surfaces of the upper and lower intake manifolds. Clean the manifolds in a suitable solvent and dry it with compressed air.
Remove all filings and foreign matter that may have entered the manifold as a result of service.

Inspect the manifold for cracks, damaged gasket surfaces, or other problems that would make it unfit for further service. Replace all studs that are stripped or otherwise damaged. Clean the EGR exhaust passages.

Check the baffle plate(s) on the underside of the manifold if so equipped. The baffle(s) should be securely fastened.
Inspect the manifold for cracks, damaged gasket surfaces, or other problems that would make it unfit for further service. Replace all studs that are stripped or otherwise damaged. Clean the EGR exhaust passages..."

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input I'll prob pull the intake next week can you think of any special tools I'll need :beer

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for the input I'll prob pull the intake next week can you think of any special tools I'll need :beer
Be ready for the front and rear bolts to break off....

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 91 bronco I purchased was leaking from the same place when I bought it. Previous owner stated that it overheated then started leaking. I checked out the vehicle and saw it pouring out in the same location. I was not sure if it was the freeze plug on the head, intake gasket, or worse (craked head etc). I pulled the altenator off and the bracket that held it. Then I replaced the radiator hoses and rented a pressure tester for the radiator to see the leak better. Wasn't sure if it was a gasket or cracked lower intake manifold. I pulled the intake and it was the intake gasket leaking from that front water jacket. It was just leaking out of the front. Replaced the gasket and solved the problem.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that the previous owner did not put any silicone around the water jackets on the intake manifold gasket. Also, I would use silicone on the front and back of the lower intake and throw the rubber or cork gasket material in the trash. They tend to leak oil from there if you are not careful in placing the lower intake on the block. I always let intake set up for for a day before cranking to ensure the silicone cures fully. Just my two cents.
I have used the rubber with success, but if it fails, thats a lot of work to repeat to stop a leak.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts