Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1990 Bronco XLT 5.8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 Bronco 5.8. Started it after a couple weeks of sitting and installing new u joints and testing reverse and drive and hood just starts smoking

·
Registered
1990 Bronco XLT 5.8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Behind the water pump right where it’s circled was where it’s leaking. Right when whatever that part is, meets with the other piece. Pouring a bit

·
Registered
1990 Bronco XLT 5.8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to ask, so you said 1-2 tablets in the cooling system but the package says most cars take all 6 tablets? Would it clog it with 6? Or should I do 2 at a time until the leak is stopped?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
Forgot to ask, so you said 1-2 tablets in the cooling system but the package says most cars take all 6 tablets? Would it clog it with 6? Or should I do 2 at a time until the leak is stopped?
I used the GM coolant leak tabs, used all of the tabs as reccomended for my 1995. It had a slow drip and was leaking about a quart of coolant every 2 weeks, now leaking 0 coolant after several months. No more drips, no more scent of coolant, no more lost coolant. as of now, now clogging issues either. This stuff WORKS and did the job within 3 heat cycles.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
I have never used more than 2 tabs to fix gm cars and my gt40p explorer. I would try 2 first, if two smashed up don't work you can use more if you're willing to risk clogs. I would try 2 and see what it gets you. That's the safe route.

Only time I would consider adding additional is after a coolant change or flush as it could of disrupted any leaks that were once sealed.

·
Super Moderator
14,744 Posts
you need to R&R your lower intake gasket..common problem and not that tough if you want to tackle on your own.

·
Registered
1989 Bronco, Eddie Bauer, Raven Black
171 Posts
@ChefSharkos In SoFL, cooking,,,err, cooling is essential. Fix it right @jermil01 as stated. Stop leaks are at best a Temporary solution to get you home...or mech shop. As mentioned...Less is Best when using stoppers. good luck

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm in central CA, drive 30 minutes from home and its 100-115* What's with the south pretending they're hotter? Check out the summer temps in Red bluff or redding, CA next time you feel bad about your weather.

Edit: not trying to be rude, but we deal with heat everywhere. Check out a psycometric chart to compare humid vs dry air, its not that different, and the humid air has more mass to pull heat from a radiator. The humidity only effects AC/swamp coolers and stuff, the radiator isnt trying to pull moisture so it doesn't matter in that situation.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm in central CA, drive 30 minutes from home and its 100-115* What's with the south pretending they're hotter? Check out the summer temps in Red bluff or redding, CA next time you feel bad about your weather.
LOL I remember going to basic training in the South 20+ years ago. A large part of my company was made up of guys from New Mexico, Arizona, California etc. It was June, July, August by the way. They constantly harped on about how it was hotter out West. Us guys from the South just nodded and smiled. Little thing called humidity. A good portion of those guys dropped out of the first battalion ruck march / run. After that they listened to us about ignoring what the temp was and constantly drinking water.

·
Registered
1990 Bronco XLT 5.8
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should’ve updated, I actually found the problem. The bolts haven’t broke to my knowledge. There’s a hairline crack on the front of the lower intake

·
Registered
242 Posts
LOL I remember going to basic training in the South 20+ years ago. A large part of my company was made up of guys from New Mexico, Arizona, California etc. It was June, July, August by the way. They constantly harped on about how it was hotter out West. Us guys from the South just nodded and smiled. Little thing called humidity. A good portion of those guys dropped out of the first battalion ruck march / run. After that they listened to us about ignoring what the temp was and constantly drinking water.

I'm aware of humidity and even explained how to research how it effects (doesnt effect) a vehicles ability to cool.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've been in Hawaii when it was over 100 and 100% humidity. It's not a big deal, none of the vehicles were overheating, AC worked fine. Try working in a drywall manufacturing plant around the kiln, the building drips from condensation, room temps well over 130* and 100% humidity while that stuff is running. That'll make the south feel air conditioned. (y) Either way, humidity does not affect air temperature nor does it negatively effect a radiators ability to pass heat, the radiator isn't going to be effected like your AC or the bodies natural evaporative cooling.

Here's some contradicting information.

Look at those charts, there is a very small difference in thermal conductivity at 104*F (40*C). Unless the south is 130 like arizona, I don't think the humidity matters as much as the temperature, or lack thereof.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts