Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not my head, the truck's. I'm leaking coolant pretty fast. About a gallon in 250 miles. I filled it up today and drove it to the house to have a look and when I got there after 15 miles it was leaking fast enough to leave a 10" puddle in the garage.

There is no smoke from the engine or exhaust.

From what I can see, I have coolant dripping from both the front and back corners on the passenger side where the head connects to the engine. It doesn't appear to be leaking from the bolts or in the middle of that seam, only the very extreme corners.

I can see looking up at the back of the engine through a small gap that there is coolant running down the back side of it too, several inches above the rear of the head seam i'm seeing. From the top I cannot see anything neither for the front or rear leaks.

I bought a cooling system tester and I'll hook it up tonight, but I'm fearing I'll be replacing a head gasket. I read here that the bolts have been known to leak, but what about the seams?

As an aside I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and I was leaking exhaust from the passenger side manifold right below this and when I re-tourqed the bolts it has been fine every since. I know it was leaking before I got in there because I put a gallon of coolant in just a few hours before I started the job.

Any input would be very appreciated!

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,513 Posts
Warped head? Blown head gasket?

·
Registered
250 Posts
it s probably your intake manifold gasket. its fairly common on these motors. not a hard fix just messy and time consuming (unless you break of an intake manifold bolt. dont ask how i know )

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another bit of info, I changed the oil last week too and it wasn't milky so I don't think it is leaking into the oil.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it turns out to be the gasket, is it unsafe to drive it until the weekend when I can have a go at fixing it? I'm worried about doing more damage to it.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
If it turns out to be the gasket, is it unsafe to drive it until the weekend when I can have a go at fixing it? I'm worried about doing more damage to it.
You always run the risk with a coolant leak of having it "change course" as it worsens...dripping into your cylinders or something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Found it! I have no idea how I missed this earlier. This is in the front, center, top of the engine, just to the left of the distributor.

There's a hole in the hose there dripping onto the valley on the top of the engine. There's a pool of coolant on top of the engine that appears to be flowing down both the front and back of the head on the passenger side.

I've unscrewed both ends of this hose and I'm now trying to figure out how to take the hose off, it isn't ready to let go even with the screws backed out completely.

·
F*ck 'em all
2,420 Posts
Found it! I have no idea how I missed this earlier. This is in the front, center, top of the engine, just to the left of the distributor.

There's a hole in the hose there dripping onto the valley on the top of the engine. There's a pool of coolant on top of the engine that appears to be flowing down both the front and back of the head on the passenger side.

I've unscrewed both ends of this hose and I'm now trying to figure out how to take the hose off, it isn't ready to let go even with the screws backed out completely.

Damn, that heater hose looks original.... glad you found the problem:beer

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me too, I found it almost immediately once I hooked the pressure tester up. I got the hose off last night and I'm going to the auto parts store to find a length of hose and some new clamps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts