Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve got a leak coming from the trans cooler line housing(?) at the radiator where the trans cooler line goes into the rad (see photos). It’s definitely coolant, not ATF as you can prob tell from the pics. It appears to have been coming from behind (rad side of) that rusty washer looking part of it that’s pinned against the radiator.

A.) wtf goin on here? what is leaking? I’m pretty new to this still so I’m not really sure what exactly happens at this junction when it’s working properly or what specifically the ATF does in the radiator before it gets to the trans cooler.

B.) Can I fix this without replacing the radiator? Originally I just assumed the problem was just that metal housing and that it could be replaced or tightened, but I’ve found conflicting articles/threads that seem to suggest the entire radiator might need to be replaced

any help is greatly appreciated gents.
Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Gas Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Tread Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Tints and shades Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
1995 5.8, 2.5" Rough Country Lift, Extended RA's, 4.10's, 33" BFG's
6,284 Posts
The tanks are plastic so you probably have a crack in that area, you can barrow a pressure tester from Autozone, O'reillys etc. that will expose the exact spot of the leak, bottom line is you will probably need a new radiator but they are fairly inexpensive and easy to replace. Since you have a 5.8 you probably have the tow package which means you have a double trans cooler, the fluid runs through the radiator then through the cooler in the front of the truck.
Some will also say that the fluid runs through the radiator to warm it up in cold climates

·
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
18,105 Posts
I believe the ATF just runs through some tubes inside that tank and back out. I prefer to not utilize those and hook up just a standalone trans cooler.

·
Registered
87XLT 5.0 C6
246 Posts
I believe the ATF just runs through some tubes inside that tank and back out. I prefer to not utilize those and hook up just a standalone trans cooler.
I think the internal cooler is inadequate, but I live in the desert. The internal cooler is a joke. The one I cut out of a believed to be factory radiator I replaced (just because I was curious) was just a double wall brass tube in the side tank of the radiator, maybe six or eight inches long, and about an inch and a half in diameter. The ATF ran between the two walls. The tube was open on both ends, so at least it was exposed to coolant on both sides. Maybe the internal coolers interned to be used with an E4OD are better; my Bronco has a C6.

I have mine plumbed to run through the internal cooler, followed by a large-ish external.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,537 Posts
Agree with the above that it's time for a new radiator. Once the plastic cracks it's not worth it..find yourself a good 3 core aluminum replacement and you won't have to worry about that again..

With regards to the tranny cooler that's part of the radiator, even if you add an aftermarket cooler, you'll still want to keep those lines routed through the radiator as well. The place that rebuilt my E4OD said that cooler works to keep heat down while you're idling..

Reactions: slimpartywagon

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agree with the above that it's time for a new radiator. Once the plastic cracks it's not worth it..find yourself a good 3 core aluminum replacement and you won't have to worry about that again..

With regards to the tranny cooler that's part of the radiator, even if you add an aftermarket cooler, you'll still want to keep those lines routed through the radiator as well. The place that rebuilt my E4OD said that cooler works to keep heat down while you're idling..
So i did buy a new radiator. I just bought one that was “guaranteed compatible” with my truck after putting the info into the website without checking much else lol. Im pretty sure its only single core, its considerably thinner than the original one. Is that a problem? I did a brief google search and all i could find was some dude with like an old Saab or something saying that it shouldnt matter so i said F it and installed the single core. Do i have to rip it back out now

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So i did buy a new radiator. I just bought one that was “guaranteed compatible” with my truck after putting the info into the website without checking much else lol. Im pretty sure its only single core, its considerably thinner than the original one. Is that a problem? I did a brief google search and all i could find was some dude with like an old Saab or something saying that it shouldnt matter so i said F it and installed the single core. Do i have to rip it back out now
Btw, i live in PA so its hot as balls in the summer i figure that plays a role

·
Registered
87XLT 5.0 C6
246 Posts
Hard to say. You say it's in now, so no returning it. May as well drive it for a while and see.

FWIW, mine also had a single core from the factory. It cooled adequately in the New Mexico high desert for 30 years. When it finally failed I replaced it with a two core. I don't notice any difference driving down the highway, but it does run cooler in town, stop and go, with the AC on.

EDIT: I did have to fab up a couple of simple brackets to attach the bottom of the fan shroud to the two core radiator.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,537 Posts
I would certainly not want anything thinner then what you had in there before..where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
95 XLT 5.8L
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would certainly not want anything thinner then what you had in there before..where did you buy it from?
Mishimoto.com ill link to it at the bottom. The pricing was a little sketchy but that was kind of the point given my current budgetary restrictions (lol im broke). It came with a warranty and the site seemed reputable so i figured screw it worst comes to worst ill keep an eye on the temp gauge and pull it if it starts getting too hot. I could use the practice anyway

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,537 Posts
Mishimoto.com ill link to it at the bottom. The pricing was a little sketchy but that was kind of the point given my current budgetary restrictions (lol im broke). It came with a warranty and the site seemed reputable so i figured screw it worst comes to worst ill keep an eye on the temp gauge and pull it if it starts getting too hot. I could use the practice anyway

Came across that brand when I bought my last radiator. Seem to recall they had decent reviews.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts