Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1993 FORD BRONCO
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

so my bronco came with a heating issue. It would get very warm, close to red, then suddenly go down and then rise back up. After a bit it rarely went down.

I had a shop replace the radiator with a larger one and add a transmission cooler.
Still gets hot. No real difference.

I figured out how to and replaced the fan clutch. Still gets too hot but now the ac works better. So that is good for the ac.

I replaced the sender on Friday (the thermostat was supposedly new when I got it) and then it just got hot faster.

I figured maybe they used a bad thermostat so I replaced that today.

Now it gets hot while idling and after driving around my dirt parking lot for two minutes will peg red.

What on earth should I do now?

Thank you for any tips and advice.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,360 Posts
What temp is the new thermostat rated to?

·
Super Moderator
14,894 Posts
You might need a good flushing of the system..is it using any coolant? what's the condition of the water pump?? I'd start by checking for air in the system..the fact that it's getting hot then goes down and back up would point to that. With the radiator cap removed run the engine until it comes up to operating temp, check the coolant level and add as needed.

you should be running a 195 degree thermostat.

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
327 Posts
Is there any air burping into the coolant overflow resevoir? If so, it's a blown head gasket.
Do you have a fan shroud in place?
Is the thermostat in backwards?

I drill about a 1/32" - 1/16" hole in my thermostats as a fail safe, have never had an issue to date, and have no issues with overcooling, even driving
a bit below freezing on the freeway.

·
Registered
1993 F150 XLT 302 Auto 4x4 2.5" Lift on 32's
63 Posts
I would look to the water pump. I installed two of them on mine and don't get some cheap one either. Might even be bad head of head gasket....are you filling up the radiator or noticing it being low everytime this happens? Do you smell anti freeze? I've had several new thermostats that were garbage right out of the box so theres that issue too.

·
Super Moderator
25,001 Posts
Yo NMEXPEDITIONS,
Try Burping the coolant system; this is by Ford;
"WARNING: DO NOT STAND IN LINE WITH OR NEAR ENGINE COOLING FAN BLADE (8600) WHEN ENGINE (6007) IS RUNNING.

WARNING: NEVER REMOVE THE RADIATOR CAP (8100) UNDER ANY CONDITIONS WHILE THE ENGINE IS OPERATING. FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO THE COOLING SYSTEM OR ENGINE OR PERSONAL INJURY. TO AVOID HAVING SCALDING HOT COOLANT OR STEAM BLOW OUT OF THE RADIATOR (8005), USE EXTREME CARE WHEN REMOVING THE RADIATOR CAP FROM A HOT RADIATOR. WAIT UNTIL THE ENGINE HAS COOLED, THEN WRAP A THICK CLOTH AROUND THE RADIATOR CAP AND TURN IT SLOWLY TO THE FIRST STOP. STEP BACK WHILE THE PRESSURE IS RELEASED FROM THE COOLING SYSTEM. WHEN YOU ARE SURE ALL THE PRESSURE HAS BEEN RELEASED, PRESS DOWN ON THE RADIATOR CAP (STILL WITH A CLOTH), TURN AND REMOVE IT.

1. Fill the radiator with a 50/50 mixture of the specified engine coolant concentrate and water. Allow several minutes for trapped air to escape (bubble out) and for engine coolant to flow through the radiator.
2. Replace the radiator cap to its fully installed position, then back off to the first stop. This will prevent high pressure from building up in the cooling system during this part of the fill procedure.
3. Start and idle the engine until the thermostat opens and the radiator upper hose becomes warm.
4. Shut off the engine and allow the engine to cool. Cover the radiator cap with a thick cloth and cautiously remove it. Step back while the pressure releases.
5. Finally, check the radiator and add more engine coolant if needed, following the procedures noted above. Reinstall the radiator cap securely, when finished.
6. If more engine coolant is necessary, fill the overflow reservoir to the appropriate level marked on the bottle..."

if ok;
"If the heater water hoses are too hot to hold, the thermostat is OK"

"Install the water thermostat in the intake manifold opening with the copper pellet or element toward the engine (6007) and the thermostat flange positioned in the recess. If the water thermostat is improperly installed, it will cause a retarded flow of coolant.

ItemPart NumberDescription
18255Water Outlet Connection Gasket
28592Water Outlet Connection
3391428Screw, 5/16-18 x 1.25
48575Water Thermostat
5391430Screw 5/16-18 x 1.75
AInsert with Copper Pellet Towards Engine
BTighten in Sequence Indicated in Text to
16-24 Nm (12-18 Lb-Ft)"

• Engine Overheats
  • Damaged water thermostat.
  • Damaged water pump.
  • Cooling fan inoperative.
  • Plugged radiator.
PINPOINT TEST B: ENGINE OVERHEATS
B1 CHECK COOLANT LEVEL
  • NOTE: If engine is hot, allow engine to cool down before proceeding.

• Remove radiator cap and check coolant level at radiator coolant recovery reservoir.
Is coolant level OK?
YesNo
GO to B2.REFILL as outlined. REFER to Cooling System, Draining, Filling and Bleeding in the Cleaning and Inspection portion of this section. GO to Pinpoint Test A.
B2 CHECK COOLANT CONDITION
  • Check coolant for contaminants such as rust or corrosion. Also, check for color discoloration.
Is coolant condition OK?
YesNo
GO to B3.FLUSH system. REFER to Cooling System Flush Procedure in the Cleaning and Inspection portion of this section. RETEST system.
B3 CHECK FOR AIRFLOW OBSTRUCTION
  • Visually inspect A/C condenser core and radiator for obstructions, such as leaves or bugs.
Is there any obstruction?
YesNo
REMOVE obstruction and CLEAN A/C condenser core and radiator in the Cleaning and Inspection portion of this section. RETEST system.GO to B4.
B4 CHECK WATER THERMOSTAT OPERATION
  • Allow engine to run for 10 minutes.
  • Feel the inlet and outlet heater water hose and the underside of the upper radiator hose.
Are the upper radiator hose and heater water hoses cold?
YesNo
REPLACE water thermostat. REFER to Thermostat, Water in the Removal and Installation portion of this section. RETEST system.LEAVE engine RUNNING. GO to B5.
B5 CHECK COOLING FAN
  • Check for proper cooling fan clutch operation. Perform Fan Clutch Test. Refer to Component Tests in this section.
  • miesk5 note, beware of fan blades, belt, pulleys & hot engine/coolant. If fan spins well, iggie clutch test.
Did cooling fan clutch operate OK?
YesNo
CHECK the following:
  • Rust or scale in radiator
  • Water pump shaft and impeller
  • Collapsed lower hose
REPLACE fan clutch. REFER to Cooling Fan Blade and Fan Clutch in the Removal and Installation portion of this section. RETEST system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts