Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I finally tackled this enormous task. I took me over two weeks only because I didn't have a garage to work in and the weather rained or snowed almost everyday. so now the install...

I started with the front core support this is the reason for this....

It was just bouncing around on the frame. I started by removing the front plastic piece connected to the grill. Then i went to the grill, the headlight buckets(one piece) with adjusters attached and the apron piece that is below the grill. I then removed the hood latch assy from top and bottom. Next I removed the front bumper(not necessary) but makes it easier to get to everything in the front. Then removed the overflow/ washer fluid bracket-Next I disconnected the electrical harness that runs along the top. Then drained the rad removed all hoses, grounding straps that weren't rusted. Next I disconnected the A/c system ( mine was empty) but you may have to relieve the pressure in system first. Legally your suppose to go to garage to have then evacuate it but, I don't believe that it does the harm they say so use your own jugement here. Of course this would be done before everything else as it would be hard to drive it to garage after everthing is disconnected! If you have a tranny cooler disconnect it from tranny lines. If not disconnect tranny lines from rad and put plugs in to prevent fluid from spilling.Now mark the tranny linkage before you loosen it then loosen the nut on the slide if you are putting a lift on it you must cut linkage and weld a piece back on and bolt the slide in the same spot as you marked-(whatever size lift ex. 2" lift 2"piece this is where I fuked up) Now I removed the speed nut bolts that hold it on the fenders and plastic inner fender. Next you would remove the two nuts that hold the support to the mount, but mine were completely rusted through. Now I pulled the core, rad, shroud A/C condenser all off as one piece. Then removed them after i the core out. Now you would remove the mounts/bolt assy. I think It was 18MM head. I then procedded to try and remove the other 8 body mounts Passanger side first(no reason) lift rug up in cab look for cover plate over hole under dash below glovebox. these were rubber plugs. The next two were plates with two phillips screws.

This was the only one that unscrewed off. The other 7 I had to cut with sawzall, chisel and big f'in hammer. The next one is located behind the front seat on floor remove rug again and you will see it. I then proceded to the one that was in the back by my rear wheel well. The last one on this side is located under the chrome stepping piece by where the tailgate meets the floor. Remove it and pull rug back can miss it. I did remove my rear bumper to cut these off. The driverside is the same as passenger side just opposite of it. Next I jacked the body up slowly enough to remove mounts and install new poly mounts and lift block. I put the block on top of the polymount as the mounts had the sleeves that fit in the frame holes then set the body on the blocks and did the other side (drivers)the same. After all mounts and liftblocks were on I tightened each bolt snug checked linkages- good thing I did i had to loosen the tranny linkage and let it slide in the factory hole until there was no binding. My emergency brake cable was ok I then loosened the gas filler hose as it had a small steching look to it and move it an inch to perfection. Everything else was good. I then tightened all body mounts to 70 FTlbs and began to replace the rad, condeser that i made into tranny cooler

Next I replaced all hoses, electrical, tranny lines. Next I put grill, new headlights, apron ,hood latch, and did any adjustments necessary. Now I replaced plastic piece on and cleaned up. I will get more pics up in a few but wanted to get the typing done.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
WTF, that was more involved than i thought it was going to be. great write up bro. you just saved me some trouble. my core is wasted, looks similar to yours in the pic.the weather here is ass at the moment. looks like i am going to have to block out a few days or something to get this handled.\
so you did a body lift at the same time?

thanks bro

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did. I put a 2" lift on. In my write up I said to loosen the tranny linkage -I forgot to do this and f'd up something it won't shift now. I have trhe E4OD. I think i jammed the MPLS on the tranny.-Bob

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
Actually you can replace the core support with the tranny cooler, ac condensor and radiator still connected.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
85, THose spacers/flat washers are used to align your body panels to each other, like the fenders to the cowl/front of cab on each side and at each body mount.

ANd thanks for that close-up pic of the front core support bushing. Reason is I am having hella time finding replacements for my 84 core support. I installed poly bushings a few years ago, and had to cut one of the original bushings in half to get it out. Bought a new set from LMC Truck for 80-86 Bronco, but they are like the one you have in the pic. THose don't fit my 84 Bronco. Here's a pic of what I have and need:

The factory c.s. bushing is one piece of rubber molded over the metal portion. To use poly's like mine, I cut away the old rubber, and slipped the poly's under the top lip. It looks more like the cab body mount bushings, except that these are threaded for the bolt. WIth the one mount cut and not being threaded, the fender moves all over the place and I have to constantly align my hood and latch. I've checked 5 or 6 other Ford parts suppliers, and they all show the other style of bushing (85's pic) for an 84 Bronco. Not mine, so i need help finding the right ones!!! JSM84

THis is a pic of the LMC Truck c.s. bushings. These are genuine Ford parts, with the same part no. as any other vendor shows. They are a good 1" too short to fit. I suspect mine on the 84 may be from a 78/79??? My old ones are the originals that came from the factory on the Bronco when new.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks steve.
Well I got everything put back together but I still need to cut the shroud and extend my shift linkage. And my passengert door and front fender are really close. The door opens but its close. So I tried moving the spacers but it didn't change the gap. So iguess I will try and loosen the front fender and move it forward a little. I never looked at the gap befor I did it so it might have always been like that. Any ideas on other ways to fix the gap?
thanks
josh

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
how does the core suport come out? welded opr bolted in? my front body mounts r almost compelty rusted away. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
where did you get all the parts

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeff's bronco graveyard- pricey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts